Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop suddenly started to overheat. Never happened before for the same games  (Read 6686 times)

sarpmis

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    I have this sudden overheating problem. When im playing games, the thing just starts to burn.

Here's my specs

intel i7 2.2 ghz
    nvidia gt 520m
    6 gb ram

i know that this isn't exactly the best gaming computer ever and that the gt 520 is a low end card, but it used to work just fine. It was hot before too but never shut itself down before. I could play my games for hours.
    Why did it start overheating  now? I did some research and most people seem to think the reason could be dust or something blocking the fan but i dont know how to check it on a laptop.

truenorth

Guru

Is the activity of using the game the only time when the overheating occurs or is it present all the time now? Yes dust/dirt inside can cause the cooling ports to be restricted and reduce airflow.To get a better picture of what the actual temps are you should download/install/run this free program.
      http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html
      It would serve us better to have a comparison of gaming temps and computer just on and running the test results. So please provide both. Have you noticed any audible change in the fan sounds (increase or absence of sound)? To try and remove any internal debris you should open all available user access panels and using only canned compressed air endeavor to remove it. You can also apply the air via the cooling ports but caution there as you will be significantly increasing the fan rotation speed and that can cause a fan failure. If you have access to stop the fan rotation when applying the air that is desireable to prevent the possible fan damage. Also remove all power to the computer when doing the cleaning.report back with your findings/results.truenorth

sarpmis

Topic Starter

Starter

Thank you for the reply

I did the test you asked. here are the results

GPU       65C
        HDO       38C
        Temp1   73C
        Cores     72C

in game they all go up to around 90 except hdo. And about the fan, the sound is pretty high, even higher in-game. But it was high the first day. No changes in fan sound.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        Those temps are well within range for that i7...
        If it gets close to 100C is when to start watching.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sarpmis

Topic Starter

Starter

what's wrong then?

truenorth

Guru

Your query re "what's wrong then?" i assume is based upon your perceived elevation of temps. While as member patio has stated these determined temps are NOT outside the acceptable range of temps for that computer. However i can appreciate that as the owner of the computer noting a change can be worrisome. If my research is borne out this is an Apple Mac Book of 2011 vintage. Is that correct? If so then it may well be that you still have some warranty left. If that is the case to diminish your concerns i would suggest taking it to an Apple store and let them test it to see if there is something to be concerned about. You can proceed with the cleaning with the cautions i mentioned in the interim. You could also buy a laptop cooler. They are readily available and quite inexpensive I did not detect any user concerns on the computer re overheating issues.truenorth

sarpmis

Topic Starter

Starter

Well it's not a mac book ;D It's a Casper Nirvana. Casper is kind of a domestic (i don't know if i used that correctly  ;D ) computer company from Turkey (where i am from). They do not make their own parts though, i guess they buy it from the bigger companies. They do make some rather decent and less expensive computers though, using the customs tax system of Turkey which charges computers much more than computer parts. 

I dont know why i just told you all that :D but anyways thank you for your help. I dont think i'll go with the cooling, mainly because it says "Any unauthorized interference will disable the guarantee" on the back :)

I'll go ahead and buy myself a cooler now. Thank you again for your attention.

truenorth

Guru

OK but given this " "Any unauthorized interference will disable the guarantee" on the back"  if that is still a concern (due to an existing in force warranty) the belief of excessive heat--my suggestion re taking it in to an authorized dealer would still be at the top of my list.If indeed things have changed that concern you time to do it is BEFORE it is out of warranty.truenorth