Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry key to change registered owner isn't there  (Read 7040 times)

newsong

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Registry key to change registered owner isn't there
    « on: January 02, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »
    I bought a used Acer laptop with Windows 7. Not a big deal, but the previous owner is the listed owner so his name pops up on things like my calendar. Looked up how to change it by going to regedit and found where it should be  - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion - but it isn't there. Any ideas on what to do from here? Step by step is good for me as messing with the Registry makes me nervous. Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert

newsong

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Registry key to change registered owner isn't there
      « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »
      Thanks for the reply but the link you sent was dead. Also, I've followed instructions in several places for locating it in Win7. I can get to the correct location but the key isn't there. If the only option is to add a key, I am asking for specific instructions to do so because I don't know how and don't want to mess up anything in the process.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 06:47:49 AM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

newsong

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
        Thanks, patio, but that's not it either. I've already changed the computer name but that is different, and in a different location, than the registered owner. I'm wondering if the former owner deleted the keys thinking that was necessary. His name still shows up as the registered owner but there is no place in the registry to change it. I'm pretty sure I need to find out how to add in a new key that will allow me to change the registered owner from the former owner to me. Does anyone know how to do that?

TechnoGeek

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
        The articles you already found were often for Windows XP and earlier.
        http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/changing-registered-owner-name/89b1b50e-77d2-48b5-a55e-dbc8a79cb065

This is specific to Windows 7
        http://www.fanhow.com/knowhow:Change_the_Registered_Owner_in_Windows_ 7_37816906 (<-- fixed link!)

If the keys are missing, you have to add them.

These both worked for me (same location in registry). I changed the organization as a test and didn't even need a reboot.

newsong: Are you looking in the right-hand pane for RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner after clicking on the CurrentVersion key on the left-hand pane?

If they're definitely not there, you can right-click (in right-hand pane) -> New -> String Value to create them (but if his name shows up I'm pretty sure they're in there already and you just didn't see them)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »
        I'm puzzled...if the original Owner removed them they wouldn't be there...registry or not...
        Perhaps these names are associated with certain apps...in that case you have to tackle each app and make the neccessary changes...

That being said my general rule of thumb is when inheriting any used PC the 1st step should be a wipe and a Clean Install...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "