Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Alternative Motherboard advice  (Read 2426 times)

flyingspan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Alternative Motherboard advice
    « on: January 03, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »
    Hello all,

I have this super old computer with a similar motherboard (which seems to be broken :( ). The motherboard is the Xcel 2000 Socket 370, and it has (I think) SiS 620/5595 chipspet and its processor was an Intel Celeron. and it supports DDR1. I tried finding the motherboard online to buy, expecting it to be cheap as it is pretty old I was shocked to see that prices aren't as low as I thought of them to be.

So I now need help finding a a similar motherboard, I have tried however I'm really inexperienced in this stuff D:
    As far as I think, all this information should be right.

Thank You :D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Alternative Motherboard advice
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »
    Not sure i understand...
    How do you know it's the board itself ? ?
    For example it could be the CPU...in which case the new board would be a waste of money...
    DDR1 if you are in fact looking to revive this PC isn't cheap as supplies are limited...
    What are your goals...including budget for this old PC ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

flyingspan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Alternative Motherboard advice
      « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »
      Firstly, thanks for the reply.

As far as identifying the problem goes, some engineer person checked up the computer and said that the problem is with the motherboard. I didn't bother checking anything else. The computer was in perfect working condition; it hadn't been used in a while and then suddenly stopped working.

I did some extra research on the mother. It is a ECS PS62-ML Slot A motherboard. It now makes sense why such boards would be expensive, i'd thought that since they're old, people would sell them cheaply :\

I fancied bring back this computer from the grave to use as a dummy, test things out and such. Budget wise, I have all I need apart from (what has been said to me) a malfunctioning motherboard.

The the computer it powered, all that comes up it a black screen. Nothing more, nothing less. :?