Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Windows 7 is counterfeit says Microsoft, where can I download Ultimate free?  (Read 5288 times)

runninbare

Topic Starter

Rookie

• still able to beachbum
    • Experience: Beginner
    Microsoft said I dont have a genuine copy, (no key code came with the pc) which I beleive, is slowing down.
    Where can I download it for free (legitimate), the websites ads say free, but crawl you in after they diagnose your pc
    and ask for a credit card number.
    runnningbare

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    You have been around here long enough to know we do not assist with those type of requests...
    Either order one from the PC manuf. or go buy one.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

runninbare

Topic Starter

Rookie

• still able to beachbum
      If I buy one, does it override the old one that came with the pc? Should I be prepared for missing files, settings, etc?
      runnningbare

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      You can run a Repair Install...if done properly all your apps and data will remain intact...

Win7 Repair Install...

Then when finished do the registration with your new key...
      You really should call the PC manuf...you would probably save yourself some money.
      They may even be able to provide the original keycode if you have serial #'s etc...

runninbare

Topic Starter

Rookie

• still able to beachbum
        Unfortunatly you have to have a disc to update the Win7 repair install, so I ended up shelling out $210 to Microsoft again, the new key code would not update, kept saying it was not genuine, after an hour with her on the phone, she said it may not have been counterfeit, but "the Index Performance would not refresh from a 3, as the BIOS setup for the video driver needs new settings from the manuf." Yeah, tried telling her calling Gateway will not get you the time of day.
        So I will be stopping payment on the card for this one.
        The free downloads on the internet are nothing but traps to get your credit card number, & even ebay dog & pony shows with their new installs & updates look like hit & miss numbers they are trying to recycle, so I stated away from them. The only two upopened packages for offer were $250.
        Thought by dealing direct with Microsoft would solve the problem, not, it was running good before I got their pop ups, at least I had someone who attempted to speak good Engish this time.
        runnningbare

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        No reason to be shelling out that kind of money...
        The #800 Win authorisation phone help is way above average...and i've never had them give me a hard time...most times i had the clients PC back up and authorised in less than 10 minutes.
        The other option also that i suggested which was contacting Gateway certainly wouldn't cost 200 Bucks either.
        Sounds like sour grapes all the way around.

runninbare

Topic Starter

Rookie

• still able to beachbum
          Win 7 charges $99 for phone support as the pc is over 2 years old. The 800 numbers I have is 1-800-642-7676 & 800-936-5700. Gateways pcs are not geared for any serial numbers that are over 2 years old also, but they also told me Microsoft could not let me go back to Win XP, even if I had the old key #..........I dont know, depends on who you get on the phone.
          Someone on a forum said I probably had a bad optical drive, am going to look into that.
          That may be related to the Bios video driver not updating & allowing Win 7 to update.
          runnningbare

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          it was running good before I got their pop ups
          What's this about? What pop-ups, and what did they say? The "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" message can appear erroneously on otherwise legitimate installations of Windows, So any action before determining that the message is actually legitimate is IMO premature.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          The activation # is Free...always has been.
          Can't speak for Gateway but just last month i was able to order a Dell factory restore CD for an 8 year old PC...the age of the PC shouldn't matter...
          Total cost $14.51 including shipping...