Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: On Boot, fans go into overdrive  (Read 3435 times)

Gelliebeen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    On Boot, fans go into overdrive
    « on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
    I have a custom built machine running Windows 7, 64bit. My friend built it because I'm pretty hopeless in that area, so I'm not certain what exactly is inside, only that it's a pretty decent computer. I think the video card is an ATI 4xxx something, it's got a couple gb of ram. I recently reformatted it and started with a clean install (as in, like 2 days ago). I did download and install all of the windows updates before this trouble started. There's AVG on it, but it's not like I've had time to riddle it with viruses. It's literally just AVG, Steam (a couple games from Steam), Firefox and whatever comes with Windows.

Anyway, last night I was playing a game and all of the sudden the fans in the computer go into overdrive and it stops transmitting to my monitor. The computer is still running, as far as I know. Anyway, I turned it off and tried turning it on today and no hash. When I boot it up it sounds like it normally does, only the fans go into overdrive again and the picture never comes on. All the lights turn on in the box like normal as well. I'm completely lost here, so I thought I'd give this forum a go. Here's a picture of the inside, in case you need it. There's one more fan on the case door.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j373/lmarts/0104132206_zpscd7c693e.jpg

truenorth

Guru

Re: On Boot, fans go into overdrive
      « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:20:47 AM »
      How long ago was this computer built? It sounds like an overheating issue to me.Just to see if you can get the computer to operate again try removing the side panels of the case (both sides if you can). Then with a portable fan blowing into the case see if you can get it to run. If you do get it to run (or when you eventually do) i recommend downloading/installing this program:
      http://download.cnet.com/Everest-Ultimate-Edition/3000-2086_4-10499291.html
      This is the paid version but there is a 30 day free trial on it . So use it and you will get a list of all things hardware/software on your computer which you should save or print out to a location other than your computer for future reference if and when other problems arise. This version also contains diagnostic features for possible problems. So if you do get the computer running via my suggestion make it a priority to use. Report back as to the results of what i have suggested being as detailed as possible.truenorth

Gelliebeen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
        It was built 2-3 years ago, roughly. I tried what you said, was able to take off both side panels, but no luck. Unless the thing is overheating instantly, I don't think it could be that. Maybe the first time it happened it overheated, and now it's just messed up somehow? Anyway, after fiddling around some, I think the fans that are mainly going wild are the ones on the bottom of that black box in the middle, which I suspect is the graphics card? I have no idea how to tell which parts are which if they aren't in a box that says so, but that thing is connected to where the video output cable is, so that's my guess. There are two fans underneath it (and for informational purposes, two more fans on the top of the box I had no idea existed). It's hard to figure out which fans, if not all, are the ones going haywire, but I think it might be those.

Could it be the graphics card overheated? I suppose that might explain why there's no picture and wacky fans.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
          "Could it be the graphics card overheated?" Yes it could be the card has failed.Before trying another with all power disconnected and first grounding the chassis for any electrical discharge you could try re-seating the card if that is possible.truenorth

Gelliebeen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
            I did what you said, about reseating the card (had to call a friend to walk me through it) and no dice. However, I then scavenged an old card from another computer and voila, that one works. So I must have somehow blew up my card, which for future reference is This One. Not that any of you would buy it now.

So I guess this means I'm shopping for a new card. Any suggestions as to cards either the same as or better than this one for somewhere around $100, maybe $150 if it's really nice? Now that I'm actually on this computer again, I can tell you:

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 2.67GHz
            RAM: 6GB
            Now sadly running on a Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »
              Well done. I shall leave it to others to advise you re a replacement card. They will want to know the wattage of your current power supply as depending on whether you want to stay within the range of a straight replacement (same wattage) as the one you have or depending on the card recommended it will become necessary to increase the capacity of the power supply unit (and maybe the RAM as well). So you may have some decisions to make. Take your time experts in that area shall be along soon to help you make your decision.truenorth
              « Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:42:39 PM by truenorth »