Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sparks From a new graphics card.  (Read 2426 times)

MattsSoScene

Topic Starter

Rookie

Sparks From a new graphics card.
    « on: January 05, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
    My brother has an old Compaq Presario DR1610 NX and I have been helping him upgrade it. We changed the processor to a MD Athlon 64 x2 4200 + 2.2 GHz Dual Core and upgraded the power supply to 430w. For the graphics card, we found a ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT on ebay. We turned it on and everything was working fine for a few minutes, then the screen froze, went fuzzy, and the computer turned off. We let it sit for awhile and tried it once more only to see sparks coming out of it. We turned it off again and found that it was the graphics card that was sparking. Did I get the wrong type of graphics card  for this PC or to I get sold a bunk graphics card?

thank you

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Sparks From a new graphics card.
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
    Junk card...return it.
    If it were the wrong card it would not have fit in the slot.

I wouldn't buy a bowling ball off of eBay.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MattsSoScene

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Sparks From a new graphics card.
      « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »
      That sucks....Normally I have really good  experiences with Ebay..... this is the first time this has ever happened which is why I was inclined to blame myself. I am a little relieved to find out I didnt get a card that was not compatible or something.