Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suggestions for Good Internet Blocker/Parental Controls?  (Read 5807 times)

larryblau

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Suggestions for Good Internet Blocker/Parental Controls?
    « on: January 15, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »
    Hi,

Recently I had to trash BSecure, which I had had for years, because of their non-support. Can I get suggestions of good Internet blockers/Parent Controls? Free would be great, but more important is functionality, ease of white-listing, black-listing, removal and re-installation if necessary, etc.

Thanks.
    Larry

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Suggestions for Good Internet Blocker/Parental Controls?
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
    A quick and easy answer would be to do it yourself. Teach your children your set of values and why they will help your children grow into responsible adults.

As for software solutions, have your already explored the suggestions made by Microsoft?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-Parental-Controls
    Set up Parental Controls.
    Sorry  the article is for another version of Windows. Microsoft is dropping free support for Windows XP and you might think about moving ahead. Curiosity holes in the OS are a matter of concern for Parents.
    Also, have you read this summery of the topic?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_controls
    The article is far from perfect, but has a very interesting idea.
    ...Techniques involving a proxy server are also used. A web browser is set to send requests for web content to the proxy server rather than directly to the web server intended. The proxy server then fetches the web page from the web server on the web browser's behalf and passes on the content to the browser. Proxy servers can inspect the data being sent and received and intervene depending on various criteria relating to content of the page or the URL being requested...
    A lot can be said about this topic. But I will wait for your response. IMHO software solutions are not effective unless the get down to a lower level of control; such a s pricy server redirect in the home network router. Otherwise, a precocious child can boot the PC with a "Live Linux" CD and bypass your windows software.

larryblau

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:15:57 AM »
      Hi,

I can't thank you enough for your thoughtful reply.

I wish I had children, but I don't. My issue is for myself. I'm not a criminal (fortunately), but I need to find a way to restrict my Internet activity on my computer for my sanity! Sadly, this is the only way for me, I don't seem to have the discipline most people do to avoid going to those places on the Internet I have no business going. My interest is in having a productive life, and that goes out the window when I am going to all those X-rated sites.

Any other ideas?

Thanks a bunch for your time.
      Larry

Essie

Starter

• Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:49 AM »
        You could try to contact your ISP and ask them to filter from their side ... they might (and probably would) charge you a bit extra for that service rendered.   :P

Another option is to try using OpenDNS ... This is, however, far from fool-proof given your situation.  Unfortunately this will only assist you and you would need to learn to have the discipline not to do this to yourself.

This one is for the more involved option - Click https://store.opendns.com/get/home-free?__utma=247635969.2066747260.1358415018.1358415018.1358415018.1&__utmb=247635969.3.10.1358415018&__utmc=247635969&__utmx=-&__utmz=247635969.1358415018.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=175463585

Or for a less invovled option try https://store.opendns.com/familyshield/?__utma=247635969.2066747260.1358415018.1358415018.1358415018.1&__utmb=247635969.4.10.1358415018&__utmc=247635969&__utmx=-&__utmz=247635969.1358415018.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=73881361

Best of luck.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:24:11 AM »
        The Topic is over a Year old...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "