Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Charts in Excel 2007 dissapears  (Read 3846 times)

lau

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Charts in Excel 2007 dissapears
    « on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »
    Hi Everyone
    I have come across a strange issue on a pc running Excel 2007.
    A spreadsheet is created on a pc using Excel 2010 - and withing the workbook are charts (their data is within the same sheet as the chart) it then gets saved onto a flash drive and then opened on a pc running Excel 2007. When opening the file in 2007 all the data is there but the charts are gone. There are just empty spaces where the charts were.
    Could it be a compatibility issue between 2007 and 2010. I have tried it on another pc, also running 2010 and everything is there, charts included.

Please note, I have checked for viruses and had a look for any settings in 2007 that might disable charts.

Thanks in advance
    Thort of the day: I was normal once....didn't like it

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Charts in Excel 2007 dissapears
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
    Does Excel 2010 has an option under the Save As command to save as Excel 2007?   I realize it may not since the both use the .xlsx file format, as opposed to the older (Excel 2003 and prior) .xls format.

lau

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:33:27 AM »
      2010 Does not give a 2007 save format. But we have tried saving it as a .xls (2003 and prior) then opening it with the 2007 - but the charts are still missing. I'm thinking it could be a compatibility issue but I cant load 2010 as its a company pc.
      So I'm wondering if there is another work around for this.
      Thanks

cwhartley

• Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:03:49 AM »
        Have you installed the MS Compatability Pack?  If not, try this link.  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »
        Have you installed the MS Compatability Pack?  If not, try this link.  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3
        The Compatability Pack is not applicable to this situation.  It is for users of older versions of Office (2003, XP, 2000) who want to be able to open files created on later versions (2007, 2010, 2013) versions of Office.  Since the two versions of Office involved here are Office 2007 and Office 2010, the Compatability Pack does not apply.

Edit: cwhartley, upon reading lau's 2nd post again, where he mentioned Office 2003, I see why you suggested installing the Compatability Pack but, again, he does not have an earlier version of Office, so it does not fit the situation here.

lau, if you could attach an Excel 2010 file (could be fictitious data) containing a chart to a forum post, I could try opening it in my Excel 2007.  This could provide some confirmation of whether this apparent incompatibility is not just an issue with your particular edition of Office 2007.

lau

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »
          HI Everyone

Thanks for the replies - but the strangest thing happend the user did something (she doesn't know what) and now all of a sudden its working. All the charts are shown when opening the file on her pc.
          I wish I knew what she did.

P.S - I'm a girl  ;D