Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AC plugin to wall versus USB  (Read 4006 times)

cuscus

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    AC plugin to wall versus USB
    « on: January 16, 2013, 08:07:15 AM »
     :-[Is there such a thing as an adapter to convert  from a radio AC cable that you plug in the wall socket (photo att.)  to a USB cable that I can plug into my computer?  I am trying to download all my CD and Cassettes music to my computer but my radio only has a 2 prong plug.

Sorry the picture did not turn out, I would like to try another one but don't know how to get back to the attachment option.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

cuscus

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: AC plugin to wall versus USB
      « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »
      This is the correct picture, sorry

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
      That right there is a power cord. It doesn't support data transfer.
      Where's MagicSpeed?
      Quote from: 'matt'
      He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:38 AM »
        It is somewhat confusing to know precisely what you are try to do with what. Is it that you want to use your radio (which has an ability to play from both cassettes and cd's) and transfer the contents of cassettes and cd's to your computer hard-drive?While you are answering that to save some time.Does the "radio" have a headset out stereo jack? If yes to the last (plus clarification of the preceding). Then yes with appropriate software it can be done.truenorth

cuscus

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
          It is yes to your first question but I made a mistake my radio does not play CDs only Cassettes.  I know I can transfer CDs directly from my CD rom sorry about that.  I checked and there is a place to plug in a headset but I don't understand how it can help me transfer my CDs?????  That is why I was looking for such an adapter.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
          It is yes to your first question but I made a mistake my radio does not play CDs only Cassettes.  I know I can transfer CDs directly from my CD rom sorry about that.  I checked and there is a place to plug in a headset but I don't understand how it can help me transfer my CDs?????  That is why I was looking for such an adapter.
          An adapter wouldn't help you, because that power cord is only capable of powering the device, not transferring data. If you had a male-male AUX cable (also just called an AUX extension cable), which looks like this:

You can use a cable like that to plug it into your computer's microphone port. From there, you can use any sort of recording software (heck, even the default sound recorder will work) to save your music directly.
          Where's MagicSpeed?

cuscus

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:40 PM »
            I understand what you are saying about the cable you are showing to plug it into my computer's microphone port but what is plugged in my radio, the other end????  Sorry but I am not used to all this.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:32:43 AM »
              Please do not take offense but you are going to have to pay more attention as to how you present your questions and also how you respond to other member's questions.For instance you replied with this "but I made a mistake my radio does not play CDs only Cassettes" then this "I know I can transfer CDs directly from my CD rom sorry about that." then this " I don't understand how it can help me transfer my CDs?". When it must mean that you don't believe you know how to transfer "cassettes" not cd's. Given that i asked you if you had a headphone jack output on your radio and then Helpmeh showed you a pictorial representation of the cable required. I had already told you that if it did you would be able to connect to the computer and with appropriate software (which again Helpmeh has told you) you can do the transfer.So what is your issue remaining? Is it that you don't know where to plug the other end into the computer? To try and assist you to achieve your objective and save us all some time here is a link to a site that explains the process for many types of music transfer from multiple external (and internal ) sources.
              http://www.ehow.com/how_6701317_transfer-music-pc.html
              Please read it thoroughly and then if any further questions arise come back and we shall try to help you.truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »
              How to Transfer Music to a PC

In the section, Audio Cassettes, Vinyl Records and Other Formats, they say to use Audacity, which I had difficulty understanding & using.  Waveosaur seems easier & can also output to mp3.  It uses the Lame encoder which must be downloaded separately & copied to the Wavosaur folder.

I used Wavosaur on an old Pentium II laptop with no problems.

http://www.wavosaur.com/

cuscus

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
                Thanks everyone for all your help. 

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                « Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
                An adapter wouldn't help you, because that power cord is only capable of powering the device, not transferring data. If you had a male-male AUX cable (also just called an AUX extension cable), which looks like this:

You can use a cable like that to plug it into your computer's microphone port. From there, you can use any sort of recording software (heck, even the default sound recorder will work) to save your music directly.
                A correction is needed here.  You need to plug that cable into a Line-in port, not a microphone port.  If your computer does not have a separate Line-in port,, this procedure may not work. 

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
                A correction is needed here.  You need to plug that cable into a Line-in port, not a microphone port.  If your computer does not have a separate Line-in port,, this procedure may not work.
                Not all computers have a dedicated line-in port, but have a multifunctional mic port (and most with extra input ports can exchange their functionality also).

@OP, if you do have a dedicated line-in port, you will want to use it instead of a mic port.
                Where's MagicSpeed?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
                  I suppose in the interest of full security when doing this for the 1st time ensure the volume control output of your radio is at a very low volume. Use the audio adjustment level viewer (of the computer's software for the ripping program ) to gauge if it is high enough. I urge you to do some brief trials and listen to the results to help you obtain the best level of quality.truenorth

soybean

Genius
                  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                  « Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
                  I mentioned the Line-in because I connected a tape player to the Mic port on my laptop, which has no Line-in, and I believe it damaged the computer.  When I played the tape player, the sound on the laptop was awful and I knew something was wrong.    Immediately after that, the built-in wireless adapter stopped and never worked again.

I also connected the tape player to the Mic port on front of my desktop and, like the laptop, the sound was screechy.  I then connected to a Line-in on back and that worked well.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
                    Certainly the possibility of damage can result if volume input levels are not kept low. Personally i would not (and do not) do the audio transfer in the manner that has been presented so far in this thread. It can be done but the caution i have urged must be followed. I take my non-amplified audio source and run it next into a pre amplifier and from there to the line in computer port and make adjustments to production volume level from within the software i use. Have had great success with that method and never have caused any damage thus far.truenorth