Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Disconnects during gameplay  (Read 5016 times)

Ferny145

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Monitor Disconnects during gameplay
    « on: January 19, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
    I recently installed my asus nvidia graphics on my new computer and for some reason the monitor disconnects and the sound goes out  after playing a videogame for like 2 minutes but the computer is still running.
    I upgraded all drivers except for sm bus controller mainly because i don't know what it does.
    does anyone know why this keeps happening ?

Im not quite sure yet but i think my power supply might not be strong enough.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor Disconnects during gameplay
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:34:31 PM »
    How many watts is the power supply and which video card are you using since power demand varies among cards?

Ferny145

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
      my power supply is 430 watts and i have
       Asus Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT
      512 mb

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
      Thats an older video card. Have you checked into the operating temps of this video card and are you pushing this older card too hard to play modern games?

I have seen GPU's / Video Cards fail and take other stuff out with them vs just video. I'd run a program such as speedfan and watch your GPU temp idle etc, and then play a youtube video etc with it full screen etc and monitor temp, and then start a game up for a minute or so as to not get the video card to crash, but to see if you are roasting your GPU, such as press the Windows Key to exit out of game etc and look at temps.

Also make sure the fan is spinning and not clogged with dust on the heatsink.

430watt power supply should be plenty unless its starting to weaken or its a cheap chinese power supply such as the 500watt that I got in a cheap case that is pretty much a 250watt labelled as a 500watt since it can not handle heavy loads and its very cheaply made and small in dimensions.

Ferny145

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
        my gpu temp went from 80 to 99.'C when i started up minecraft for like a minute

Im thinking either my fans aren't doing their job or my graphics card maybe be too old to run these games

and also my power supply is thermaltake TR 430w
        « Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:13:30 PM by Ferny145 »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:41:53 PM »
        When you get the chance, point an AC fan at the computer and see what happens.