Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting a laptop  (Read 2614 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Getting a laptop
    « on: January 20, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
    (Sorry if this is the wrong place)

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a new laptop. Being a college student, I'll be using it at class and inbetween classes (As my classes are spread out so I have wait time). I'll be using it for word processing and programming projects for class. But on the other side, I'll be using it for general usage and I'd like to play a couple games on it and such.

The main game I'm looking interested and wanting to play is ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead but I don't know how well I could get that running on a Laptop and if it'd be affordable.

I'd prefer a Windows OS, preferbly Win 7 but I wouldn't mind Win 8.

So I was wondering, do you guys have any suggestions about getting a laptop, and any ideas what might I be able to do/play on the laptop, specifications, extra info etc etc.

I have a budget of about $800, maybe a little more. I'd like to do some research before I go out and buy something.
    « Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:55:42 PM by WillNeedsHelpFast »
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Getting a laptop
    « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
    You might be interested here http://gaminglaptophome.com/best-gaming-laptop-under-800-dollars/  Lenovo and HP brands online site are also worth the look IMO.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »
      Thank you. Looks interesting. Do you know anything about the Graphics card on that?

Alot of the other specs look really nice but I'm unsure of how good the Graphics card is (As some games take a bit more). Whats your opinion on Acers? I haven't had one before so I don't know them very well.

zoomz_99

Greenhorn

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
      You could try out Tigerdirect.com or Newegg.  They have some refurbished laptops that are practically brand new.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »
            What about:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&linkCode=as2&tag=gamlaphom-20#productDetails

It says:

Graphics CoprocessorNVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

But if you scroll down more on the page about its "Specifications", it says it has a:

Graphics card
            AMD Radeon HD 7640G Discrete-Class graphics and up to 3053MB total graphics memory

I don't use Amazon all that much, but would this be a good buy? It's cheaper than the other so I'm worried it won't be as good as it "appears to be". But it's a quad core.
            I just wanna say I appreciate the help. I know a few things from my hardware class but I'm still learning and this insight is very useful.