Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble scanning from HP Officejet 6110 to Laptop  (Read 3102 times)

jmcgraw1409

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Trouble scanning from HP Officejet 6110 to Laptop
    « on: January 22, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »
    I currently have a lap top with Windows Vista installed on it and a HP Officejet 6110 All In One Printer, Scanner, Copier.  I print stuff from my lap top all the time.  I have a chord that I connect via USB port from laptop to printer.

In the past (several years ago) I was able to scan items from this Officejet onto a table top PC with no issues that I can recall.  Yet now when I connect my lap top with the same chord and try to scan the Officejet tells me it is unable to connect to the PC.  I tried printing something from my laptop and had no problems.  Tried to scan again and I got the same notice that Officejet cannot connect to PC??

I'm not sure if there is something wrong or if I just don't know what I'm doing......either one is equally possible as I am pretty clueless when it comes to computers etc!

Thank you so much in advance for your anticipated replies!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Trouble scanning from HP Officejet 6110 to Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »
    Welcome to CH.

Have try to remove the software anbd install it again? That might solve the problem

On the other hand, HP printers, as well as others, are sensitive to USB cable problems. These problems are seldom reported by the software.

Some things to check.
    Are both the printer and the laptop connected to the same power strip? (Failure to do lthis could cause a component failure at any time.)
    Is the cable the one that came with the punter?

Hee is a typical response you might get from HP:

... Try another usb cable. Sometimes they go bad.
    Connect the printer to another PC, even a notebook. to see if the operating system responds to it  That will test both the cable and the printer.
    Normally it is not a printer problem. Southbridge chips on motherboards do fail and even BIOS have issues. Please try one or both of the tests to isolate and discover which device  ...

What they mean is the you have to find out if it is the printer, the cable or the laptop by process of elimination.

You may have to buy a new cable. Or you may have damaged southbridge chipset  in the computer. Let's hope not.

So try the printer  and cable on another PC and see what happens. If the other PC can 'see' the printer,  it means the cable is likely OK.

Of course, there is the possibility the printer has lost the scan feature.