Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mapping Network Drives  (Read 3313 times)

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Mapping Network Drives
    « on: January 26, 2013, 12:02:29 PM »
    I have 2 computers networked on a home network. Both are members of the same workgroup, and I can ping either one from the other. Both are running XP, and file sharing is enabled in both computers

I can map the drives of Computer A from Computer B, but cannot map Computer B from A. Computer A does not recognize Computer B as part of the network. When I try to add B to the network I am asked for a password. Neither computer was ever installed with a password, to the best of my knowledge, so I'm at a loss how to. respond.

Is it possible Computer A does have a password that I'm unaware of? If so, how do I find it. If not, what is causing this problem, and how can it be solved?.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Mapping Network Drives
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
    When it prompts for a password have you tried just hitting Enter ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TechnoGeek

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »
    If I remember rightly, many things actually don't work if you don't have a password for security reasons. This includes task scheduling in some cases, most remote desktop and logins, etc.

You might try a username of 'anonymous' and no password and see if that works. I've had issues with XP not logging into public shares and this login worked when things were shared to everyone.

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:27 AM »
      I've tried using no password, with no success. I don't understand why Computer A won't recognize computer B as part of the network when I've set both up with the same protocols, and workgroup, but Computer B recognizes A.