Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microphone for audio recording  (Read 5050 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Microphone for audio recording
    « on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:21 AM »
    I have a ERMIC ER M7Mv plugged into Windows 7 pc. I have tried to use Sound Recorder to record audio input. I have tried unsuccessfully to see if the problem is lack of a driver in the pc for that microphone.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Microphone for audio recording
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:16:02 AM »
    Just use a plain microphone.
    But it seems nobody wants to sell you just a plain microphone.
    The more expensive ones give mediocre performance  on a PC. The output level is too low. And the don't come with a stand.
    The cheap little things are better suited for a PC. Don't pay more that $20 in the USA.

You could just get a microphone with a headset for a PC. The go for under $12 and work great. In fact, if you want to use voice recognition, the headset mic is what you want.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
      The microphone has a stand and is supposed to work when plugged into the jack at the back of the computer. Audio input into the microphone does not produce an audio output from the computer loud speakers. It sesms that the microphone is faulty.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
      Normally Windows does not allow Mic and Speaker on together.

denisaf, did you try the microphone on anything else? A voice recorder? A cassette recorder? A Karaoke?

Another way is  to use either Skype or Google talk. Call a buddy and test your microphone.

I like Google Talk.

http://www.google.com/talk/

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »
      This may seem obvious, but did you go into your audio control panel and make sure it's set up as the default recording device and is not muted. I am on an XP comp right now so I can't give specific instructions.
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
        Just so we can give you the best and most appropriate advice. What is the source of the audio to be recorded?truenorth

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »
          I have now tried two microphones on two pcs (Windows 7 and Windows 98) using Sound Recorder to file the the audio input. I have then played the file using Media Player and this shows that it has played the file but no sound comes out. The loudspeakers play recorded music so there is not problem there. I have been through the installation checks provided by Help. The input is not muted.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »
          For Windows 7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Record-audio-with-Sound-Recorder
          Save the recorded file on your dekstop and open WMP. On the Play tab, drag the recorded WMA file to the right column untitled playlist.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:01:56 PM »
            I have done that and WMP shows the file is being played but no sound comes out of the loudspeakers. The Windows 98 pc Sound Recorder displays the audio being recorded as a blue line. During the recording, I expected to see a wavy line but it was a straight line with gaps.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »

Do you see this recording tab with internal and external mic similar to the image above? Have you tried checking first by testing them both if audio is coming out on both output using the bar like graph equalizer?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »
              Problem solved by advice from local expert, not from Windows Help. Data Recorder does the recording and the file is named in the Music screen, not Media Player. Double clicking on the file causes it to play. Help does not explain that Music has to be used for playing recorded audio input from a microphone.