Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can i use any power supply unit on any machine  (Read 4239 times)

Akod

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    Can i use any power supply unit on any machine
    « on: February 04, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »
    Hi everyone,
    Pls i want to know whether if i can use or if it is possible to use any power supply on any machine at all?
    I need help urgently.

Computer Specification:
    Pentuim 4
    Harddisk 100GB
    RAM 1GB

Regards
    ~Abraham

truenorth

Guru

Re: Can i use any power supply unit on any machine
      « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »
      The short answer is NO. The primary considerations are the power demands created by the components of the particular computer (quite variable).One would be ill advised for instance to place a power supply output capability unit in that is not equal to or greater than the one for which the computer requirements demand (usually what came with it or what components are used to build it). Also the physical size and dimensions of a PSU can be unique to a specific computer. Certain manufacturers purposely create such conditions where only their own PSU units will fit. Also certain computers may use connection terminals that are unique to their product and could eliminate or restrict required connections in another computer.Out of curiosity why are you asking this question?truenorth

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Can i use any power supply unit on any machine
      « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 12:15:48 AM »
      Truenorth is correct. Just be aware that when PSUs fail they can damage other components.

In your case I recommend a PSU of 300W or greater given the specs you have supplied.

The questions you need to ask/answer are:
      Is there a graphics card involved? If yes then step up the wattage to at least 450W
      Is the PSU ATX form plugs?
      Does the PSU have the auxiliary Pentium 4 4-pin connector on it? (Any PSU you can buy today will have one, this question is more for using an older supply.)
      Does the replacement PSU physically fit my case?

after ticking all of those, then you can safely say the PSU will work for you.