Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WIRELESS CONNECT PROBLEMS  (Read 7993 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

WIRELESS CONNECT PROBLEMS
    « on: August 14, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »
    I got a Panasonic Let's Note series laptop.  It's the Japanese version of the Toughbook.  I have had it for about 5 years and originally installed Windows XP English into it. 

A few weeks ago, I couldn't get my wireless connection to work at home.  I tried it away from home and had the same problem.  An error message -- something about a supplicant problem -- kept popping up everytime I tired to connect.  A computer tech guy checked it and told me that my wireless card was not functioning.  He suggested I get a wireless adapter.  I went on Ebay and bought an LB-LINK Wireless USB Adapter (150Mbps).  I installed the software and got it to work -- at a computer shop. In fact, I got it to work at 2 different computer shops I have visited in the past couple of days.  However, at home and where I am currently take a course (my school), I am unable to hold my Internet connection for more than a few seconds before it disconnects. 

Can anyone suggest anything?  Obviously, I don't want to have to go out and buy another wireless adapter.  The laptop WILL work when hardwired into my LAN at home.  I would like to be able to take it with me -- at least for now so I can get my other laptop serviced (it has a problem with its heat sink and possibly CPU fan).

THANKS!

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: WIRELESS CONNECT PROBLEMS
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »
    Good morning hockeysticks and welcome to CH

If your old wireless card went bad (couldn't get a connection) so you bought a new one and it works everywhere else but at your house for a few seconds.

#1... Sometimes moving your wireless router may help with a weak wireless connection
    #2... Is your wireless network encrypted if so did you put in your access key.
    #3... The wireless setting in wireless card must match your router. Example if your router is set up for WPA2-PSK than the wireless card on your laptop must be set up with the same settings / keys etc.
    #4... Have you tried resetting your router for US networks / channels etc.
    #5... Is your router set up to block certain ip's or mac address   

Hope this helps please let us know if we can help you any further. Mike 

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »
      Mike- Thanks for your reply.  The signal strength is not an issue at all.  The REALTEK wireless connect seems to be strong and connect but my windows wireless will not connect or hold the connection.  I put the access key in and it no longer requires it again.  I think #3 you mentioned may be the issue.  Not sure how to deal with your #4 and #5 below if it could be the problem.

#1... Sometimes moving your wireless router may help with a weak wireless connection
      #2... Is your wireless network encrypted if so did you put in your access key.
      #3... The wireless setting in wireless card must match your router. Example if your router is set up for WPA2-PSK than the wireless card on your laptop must be set up with the same settings / keys etc.
      #4... Have you tried resetting your router for US networks / channels etc.
      #5... Is your router set up to block certain ip's or mac address   

Hope this helps please let us know if we can help you any further. Mike 

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:17:01 AM »
      good morning hockeysticks and welcome back to CH

Sorry i was not trying to loose you by putting in terms / info that you may not know how to check or fix and I am not trying to be a wise guy either ;D.

Now for this "I put the access key in and it no longer requires it again" that is normal if all the settings are correct and if the key is entered correct than it should not ask you for it any more if that is what you are talking about.   

for #4... The reason why I put this part in was your laptop was a "I got a Panasonic Let's Note series laptop.  It's the Japanese version of the Toughbook." so if you where in the US now than you would have to set up the router for US channels in the router interface. Sorry this I was assuming because you had a Japanese unit.
      for #5... In the router interface any PC's / equipment can be blocked by IP address / mac address so it can not get on / connect to the network and internet.

In most cases when a wireless connection is getting set up but then looses that connection almost instantly that is a configuration issue or it appears it will connect but never really does that is a configuration issue. If the drivers where the issue you would not have been able to "I got it to work at 2 different computer shops I have visited in the past couple of days.

Sorry I can tell you how to check the router web app and how to check / make changes because I don't know what model router you have and what country you are in now.

Please let us know how you make out, Mike   
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

bangaloredatacom

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:47:02 AM »
      Check if the wireless radio is on
      Try to get closer to the router/access point, eliminate interference
      Restart or reset the wireless router or access point
      Check the SSID
      Make sure your network card automatically obtains IP and gateway settings
      Update your network card drivers and OS
      Let your computer try to repair the connection