Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sharing on Home Network  (Read 2655 times)

salmon_hat

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Sharing on Home Network
    « on: May 30, 2013, 07:29:18 AM »
    So I have my PC networked for access to the files from my laptop. As of yesterday, it was working fine. I could access everything I needed, logging in with user credentials and whatnot. Today, I can access the user folder, but not the bulk of its contents - the 4 main folders are available (documents, videos, music, pictures), but the other folders aren't showing up. I can get the folders to show up, but I can't access them. What would have changed from last night to this morning?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sharing on Home Network
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
    What operating systems are these systems using? Did you set file sharing to everyone wide-open or for specific users on the same domain?

* I have run into similar issues myself back when I had mapped drives between 2 systems with XP and Windows 7. What I ended up doing is building a NAS and using that for a while. My symptoms were that Windows 7 could always see the content on the Windows XP machine, but the Windows XP machine was randomly having issues with seeing the folder/files at the Windows 7 system. I then upgraded away from XP to 7 and with 2 systems with like OS the troubles went away. I then shut down my Netgear NAS and ended up selling it to a friend who needed network attached storage because he didnt like having to move USB cable among many systems to transfer data and he too had various OS systems.