Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS is FUBAR'd  (Read 2882 times)

chuckboothe

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    BIOS is FUBAR'd
    « on: February 02, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »
    A friend gave me a dead HP dv9816nr. I am trying to revive it. The first thing I noticed was that the secondary hard drive was removed. No probs, the primary one was still there. The second thing I found was that there were no RAM chips. $72 later, I had 4GB in the slots. I charged it up and powered it on to see what was there. It could not find the hard drive. I thought maybe I was wrong, so I moved the hard drive to the second slot, went to the diagnostics on the f10, and it now asked me if I wanted to check the secondary hard drive. I did, for giggles, and the hd checked out perfect. I burned the 64-bit OEM version of Linux Mint Cinnamon, and put it in the DVD drive(I had already put it at the top of the boot from list. The disc turned a few rounds, then the light went out. I waited to see what would happen, anyway. It restarted itself a few times then got past the HP screen to The NVIDIA Boot messages- PXE-E61: Media Test Failure. Check cable. I checked to make sure the DVD was fitted into its outlet correctly, tried again- same results. I've also noticed that the only functions I can use from the HP boot screen is the f10 and esc buttons. None of the other options work. I believe that the BIOS is fubar'd- that maybe some virus got through to the BIOS, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ::) Also, Phoenix VF.2A for the BIOS or PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1. Message on that screen says "No TPM or TPM has problem" System BIOS shadowed (what does that mean??). PLEASE HELP!! The computer I'm using right now is an old Compaq Presario V2140US that I have permanently attached to a laptop fanpad, and sometimes it STILL overheats! I have lost a lot of data, and once had to reinstall the OS- losing ALL my data because she shuts down at very inappropriate times!
    « Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:09:52 PM by chuckboothe »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: BIOS is FUBAR'd
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »
    The optical drive is probably shot...
    I'd also replace the CMOS battery...
    Try a new CD drive...and a new HDD...

PS...BIOS's dont get shot...and dont get infected either.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: BIOS is FUBAR'd
    « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:49:19 PM »
    This time I will agree with patio.   ;)

Also, missing RAM work indicate it was gutted.

If you are not a hardware type, may I suggest you sell the things for parts and invest in something that at least works.