Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory size and speed  (Read 3963 times)

timwil56

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Memory size and speed
    « on: February 07, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
    Just a quick question, can anyone tell me if there is any software that can report the details of installed memory like make, model, slots used frequency etc.? I tried Belarc Advisor but it only reported the size. Many thanx in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Memory size and speed
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
    http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ is a good one, as well as CPU-Z shows memory and other specs

Only issue  have had with the crucial system scanner to report memory info is that it reported my Biostar MCP6PB M2+ motherboard as having 4 memory slots and supporting a maximum of 8GB DDR2 800Mhz, but my motherboard only has 2 memory slots and so it maxes out at 4GB which I currently have in it. *So if using it to perform an upgrade, I would perform a visual inspection to verify that you have as many slots as the scanner reports. The memory controller supports addressing 4 slots of RAM, and I believe that is why the scanner reports back as having 4 slots available with maximum of 2GB per slot, when only 2 are available. It showed correct information for the 2 RAM sticks and showed 2 blank slots.

timwil56

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
      Yeah just tried it but still doesn't show make or frequency thanx anyway.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
      Not sure if there are any out there that show the make/model of the memory. The system only really cares about the FSB, Voltage, Address Size(512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc), Bits(32, 36, etc), ECC or Non-ECC, and CAS Latency labelled as CL and a value after it such as 2 or 2.5 etc.

Even servers that report memory information may say its stuffed with genuine HP memory and have a RAM stick installed with EDGE brand on a HP G-series server I worked with a while back. Found that interesting that it didnt show up as a non-genuine memory stick..LOL

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:32:06 PM »
      SIW

System Info for Windows.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
      And Speccy.

timwil56

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »
        The problem is I have 2 X 4gB ddr3 memory sticks installed no name data or anything on them ( yes they work ) with no way to identify them. I  have some Corsair ones 4 X 2gB ddr3 that may or may not be be better. The qvl from ASUS says the Corsair ones are correct and will work and was wondering whether to play swapsies or not or better yet leave well enough alone I suppose