Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Java news: Oracle taks on Google  (Read 3212 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Java news: Oracle taks on Google
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
This is from yesterday, Feb. 13
Oracle reignites Google battle by appealing Java API ruling
Oracle has appealed last year's dismissal of its copyright claims on the Java platform.

In its appeal, Oracle argued against a US judge's ruling that Java application programming interfaces (APIs) can not be protected under copyright. Oracle contends that it is "decidedly unfair" to allow Google to use Java code in its Android OS.

"A commercial competitor may not copy verbatim crucial features of another's expression, depriving the original author of a potential market for the work," wrote Oracle's lawyers in the appeal.

"Google copied the source code upon which programmers most rely, incorporated that code into a competing mobile platform, and competed directly with Oracle which was already profiting from licensing the packages for mobile devices. That is decidedly unfair."
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2243736/oracle-appeals-java-case-against-google
Stay tuned.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Java news: Oracle taks on Google
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
Best part?

The Java Class Library (which I presume is the API they refer) has been under the GPL for around 10 years now.

Additional? To my recollection, Google's implementation is also licensed under the GPL- which is the only stipulation of using GPL code.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.