Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer does nothing  (Read 2991 times)

striker85

computer does nothing
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:07:53 PM »
my computer went from working fine to not working at all in a 24 hour time period. i have an emachines w2785 with an amd athlon 2.16 ghz processor  i've upgraded it to have 1.5 gigs of memory (ddr) and about a year ago i installed an nividia geforce 5200 video card.

what it is doing now is it makes all the normal sounds (harddive reading, fans moving, etc) however nothing shows up on the moniter i have tried it on different moniters and it does the same thing  i have also tried removing the new video card in hopes that it would enable the onboard one  but even that did nothing. also the keyboard lights do not turn on when it's plugged in and the cooling fan on the new video card does not move. could it be a mother board issue?

either way i'm out of ideas and am in desperate need of help

Computer_Commando

Re: computer does nothing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:17:05 PM »
Remove the new video card and perform a "hard CMOS reset".  Consult manual how to do this.  This should enable onboard video.  If this works, then try installing the new video card.  If it dies again, the 5200 card is dead.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 04:33:03 PM »
Motherboard does not like the ram?

striker85

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 04:44:02 PM »
the ram has been in there for a few months now  

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 04:47:02 PM »
also the keyboard lights do not turn on when it's plugged in and the cooling fan on the new video card does not move.

How have you installed this videocard?

striker85

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:07:19 PM »
yes  the card is completly installed and has been working since i installed it about a year ago   but i noticed that when i turned the computer on the fan on the card  wasn't moving

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:09:32 PM »
So does that mean not enough power or you overheated your video card? Did you disable the internal video card in you emachine?

striker85

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 08:12:04 PM »
i had to when i installed the card