Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hp cd writer problems  (Read 2204 times)

nsy251

hp cd writer problems
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:02:06 AM »
I have a hp pavilion a305w and my hp cd-writer does not read discs, the light flashes and never stops. I have been trying to install dsl for about a week w/ no luck. whenever I put the installation cd into the cd-writer drive the software will pop up for about 10 seconds then disappear, even if I press next. when I put in a blank cd-r I do get a solid green light. (I have checked the cd from command mode and reinstalled the drivers) any suggestions????  

GX1_Man

Re: hp cd writer problems
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 09:42:22 AM »
What model CDRW, and how old is it? It used to work fine and it just quit? The only thing new is DSL or is there more? What software are you using? Is doesn't read any discs? Are you comfortable removing and reinserting the flat silver data cable to it?

More info please.

nsy251

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 10:08:52 AM »
its a sony cd-rw crx215e5. it was originally installed 7/1/2001. it used to work fine and now when I put in a software cd the light just flashes. sometimes when I go to run, the software program will popup for 10 seconds then dissappear. its the bellsouth installation software and the only thing new is dsl. I don't know how to reinsert a flat silver data cable to it????

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 11:49:18 AM »
It's doubtful that is the problem, but if youcan get inside the case you will see where the flat data cable plugs in. Just remove and reinsert it snugly.

It may be that that CDROM has just died, either from overuse, old age or just bad luck. The symptom is that they cannot read CD's, despite the lights. This is independent of the drive opening and closing, which is mechanical. This is an optical problem.

There are commercial CD cleaners for the drive available (even at WalMart!) I don't know if this would help frankly, but.....

merlin_2