Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 100mbps switch with Bandwidth Usage Display?  (Read 3044 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
100mbps switch with Bandwidth Usage Display?
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:41:14 PM »
So my 3Com 100mbps unmanaged 16-port switch died over the weekend and I have looked everywhere for a modern replacement for the one feature that I enjoyed it having. It had an LED bar display on it that would show bandwidth consumption. This was helpful when knowing if it was a good time to download a new distro of Linux etc and not compete with my wife watching netflix while also on VoIP phone and my daughter on youtube for bandwidth.

I suppose they did away with this feature in newer switches since 99.9% of the switches out there are placed in a location where they are not monitored.

Anyone know of any modern inexpensive 100mbps switches that have this bandwidth usuage display feature which can be LED or LCD and less than $40 USD.

Even though this setup added a very small amount of latency, I had this switch in series between my broadband modem and my router resting on my desk with my flat screen display resting on top of it. So I could look down and see how much bandwidth was being used at any time.

I bought this 16-port switch for $25 used at a computer fair/swap 5 years ago, and wish I bought the 2nd one the guy had as a pair for $40 combined, as for I could have used that 2nd one now to replace this one, but woulda-shoulda. Just looking for a modern replacement if there are any that might be smaller like a 5-port etc, although number of ports is not important.

I might have to buy another used one  :-\

All searches on google promote software network monitoring, but I dont want to waste electricity on a computer with 2 network adapters that has to run all the time to act as an internet gateway that can monitor via software and also sitting in the dangerous DMZ where hackers would love to gain access to it and use it as a zombie, and a far greater amount of latency than a hardware switch would add.

My broadband connection bandwidth is 20-22 mbps download and 6-8mbps upload. So a used 10mbps switch or hub with this feature that I saw on amazon would be a bottleneck, so I have to stick with 100mbps.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 100mbps switch with Bandwidth Usage Display?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
Closing this... was chatting with a friend and he has an 8-port 100mbps switch he is going to give me that has this bandwidth usage display. He thinks its a TrendNet 100mbps switch. He has to dig it out of his closet out of the pile of computer parts he has.