Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I want to buy a new desktop computer........  (Read 6026 times)

QueenBee

I want to buy a new desktop computer........
« on: July 15, 2004, 06:43:28 PM »
I don't know alot about computers so I need some help. I want to know what is the best desktop computer manufacturer and whats the best processor you can have. If I could get any advice I would appreicate it. :)

2k dummy

Re: I want to buy a new desktop computer........
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 06:59:22 PM »
WOW! Thats a loaded question. Recommending a brand or processor type, or even components depends entirely on how the computer will be used. And I'm sure there would be some argument about which is better.

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 07:18:18 PM »
Either build your own PC, buy a custom box from a local retailer (preferably not a stampout box from Sears, Circuit City, KMart, or other major chain...), or buy a PowerMac. AlienWare and Dell servers are overpriced even though the quality is up there, Sony, Micron, and other 'mainstream' manufacturers are dealing with help-desk ooutsourcing problems, eMachines is still trying to get the quality up, and HP, Compaq, Packard-Bell, and Dell bargan-box machines are lame.

QueenBee

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 01:10:56 PM »
MalikTous, what kind of Dell computer would you recommend?? I'am willing to pay a high price because I really want a good quality computer.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 01:50:56 PM »
The quality of the computer depends heavily on the skills of the user.

If you are not familiar with computers, I suggest you call Dell and have them personalize your computer for you. Or a company such Alienware. Even though that is, in my opinion, for the more experienced user.

MalikTous

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 10:39:07 AM »
If you want to stay with Dell, go with their 'server grade' or 'professional' models. Avoid the 'home' and bargan box machines.

You might get a better deal going with your local computer store (not a chain like CompUSA or a general merchant like Sears) and having them custom build you one. Choose an Antec or Thermaltake PSU and case, an ASUS, ABit, IWill, or Gigabyte MB with matching Intel or AMD processor and RAM, a full-sized CPU cooler and as many fans as the case will accept, a nice WD, Seagate, maxtor, or Fuji hard drive, a decent CDRW and/or DVD drive (Plextor if you want the top of the line), and the video card that most of the games you want to use reccomend.