Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: master boot any site for free recovery cd  (Read 2560 times)

clnie3

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    master boot any site for free recovery cd
    « on: February 23, 2013, 08:52:25 AM »
    I had posted about a problem with my hard drive. black screen error disk error occurred press crtl alt del to restart then goes right back to the error black screen. I tried going to alt f10 for recovery and one option to and it is shaded out. The bios does show the hard drive. I put the hard drive in a working computer and it shows the drive with no data on it . Someone said it might be the master boot. Does anyone know of a site where I can download a recovery for the master boot. After performing the alt f10 everytime I boot the system it goes right into checking files and goes to the recovery. This is a gateway laptop model m6847 (64). I put Ubuntu 12.04 and it had a option to view or download so I view did not download it .Not sure as I am beginner only now a little and help appreciated. Thank you

rondi

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: master boot any site for free recovery cd
      « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
      Hi, My first post here will hopefully help someone.  From your sig you are using XP.  Boot from your XP install CD.  Go to Recovery when the menu comes up.  In Recovery there are numerous commands.  One is fixmbr and the other is fixboot.  It will warn you about screwing up other Partitions if you use fixmbr, so make sure you remove and unbacked up important data before you execute fixmbr.

And, in you CMOS, make sure you drive boot order is correct.

M$ has a nice list of the commands if you care to search for it and then print it out.

Ron

clnie3

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
        Re: master boot any site for free recovery cd
        « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »
        operating system is a vista home with 64 . everything was preinstalled so I do not have any of the cd. I am not Able to do anything other going in to bios or boot when it comes up as it goes right into the loading files and goes to the recovery and to go back to factory setting is shaded out and I am not able to even exit I have to shut the system down.