Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can i "transfer" my whole system with its personalized settings to a new one ?  (Read 4324 times)

Lefteris Nikolaou

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hallo,

I'm new to this forum,this is my first post.

I'm having problems with my current system.It's 3 years old and the last few weeks getting too slow with handling online games and videos which take its cpu use to 100% before shutting down .Emptied my hard drive and removed many programmes but with no help.Anyway,thinking about getting a new computer because i think it's a hardware problem...

The question is,can i transfer my whole old system to a brand new computer ? I have my old system perfectly customized and don't want to start all over again with the thousands of different settings...i'd love it if there's a way to just copy and paste the old drive's contents ,reboot and feel like i'm having my old system inside the new hardware...
    Is there a way ?

I have windows 7 on,and an external 1TB drive.

Thanks in advance.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    You cannot transfer the hard drive (with the windows and programs installed) to a new computer.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Lefteris Nikolaou,

Please give more details about your PC.
    If it is only two years old it should be good.

Two things to check.
    The hard drive may be fragmented.Did you def rag it?
    Do you have two AV programs running at the same time?

Lefteris Nikolaou

Topic Starter

Starter

I defrag my drive all the time and 376 out of 465 GB are free...
      I have Malwarebytes Antimalware,Superantispyware and Spybot search and destroy but none is always on,i just scan once a week or so.
       For most tasks there's no problem but when i go to youtube for example or watch a video on the mediaplayer or play farmville,the CPU use on the task manager goes to 100% and after 5-10 seconds at 100% the computer crashes (shuts down).The movie starts playing and  cpu use is at 25% and during the movie without me touching anything,it goes to 100% and crash !!! It's frustrating,i cannot watch a movie without having to restart my computer 2 or 3 times !
      The problem is very apparent the last 2 weeks and has appeared before and somehow it went away (for no reason just as suddenly as it appeared).
      I'm at a loss...

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Acronis True Image has a feature that allows you to create an image of your hard drive and transfer it to a completely different system. I've never tried that feature, but I hear it works well. Might be worth looking into.

However, looking at your post above I don't see you mention an anti virus app. Do you have one installed and always running?

bedrockhorror

Make sure that all your drivers are up to date. Shadow Protect is also a good imaging program that you can take a look at as well.

Allan

• Mastermind
        Drivers have nothing to do with anything in this thread.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        Drivers have nothing to do with anything in this thread.
        Ditto. He has some other kind of problem.

Lefteris Nikolaou

Topic Starter

Starter

Acronis True Image has a feature that allows you to create an image of your hard drive and transfer it to a completely different system. I've never tried that feature, but I hear it works well. Might be worth looking into.

However, looking at your post above I don't see you mention an anti virus app. Do you have one installed and always running?

I'll download Acronis True image.
          Aren't the programmes I mentioned anti virus apps ? Can you suggest an AV programme ,lightweight enough that won't crash my pc while running ?

Allan

• Mastermind
          I'll download Acronis True image.
          Aren't the programmes I mentioned anti virus apps ? Can you suggest an AV programme ,lightweight enough that won't crash my pc while running ?

No, MalwareBytes, Spybot and Super AntiSpyware are not anti virus apps. They are designed to be used in conjunction with an anti virus app. I'm guessing your system is infected. You might want to post in our malware forum. If you do, please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
          http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

And there are plenty of good anti virus apps - NONE of which should cause your system to crash. Free ones include Avira, Avast, NOD, MSE and paid include Kaspersky (my choice) among many others.