Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfer a file from one computer to another  (Read 3129 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Transfer a file from one computer to another
    « on: February 26, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
    Must admit that l have posted this in another forum which had 481 hits and zero replies!
    So, transferring files between different computers
    I have a film (4gb and yes, NO copyright involved) that l want to send to someone. The first thing l did was to winrar it into three different formats (ie the complete film, the film in 200mb chunks, and the film in 400mb chunks).
    My upload speed is next to useless so FileZilla was my first choice of uploading to my server (rapidgator) Whatever format l chose to upload, it said that it would take at least 70hrs to upload it. It was like watching paint dry, and then all of a sudden, the connection was lost and it started all over again!
    Although l can contact this person, l have no idea of what system he has, but could find out if necessary.
    So then l thought, what if he can look at a certain drive on my computer and then just drag and drop the files into his?
    My first thought was Skydrive but this seems next to useless as it doesn't even start to upload anything whatsoever.
    Usergroups? Don't even want to get into that scenario as it means changing my Windows settings.
    All l need is a one off free program, easy to use, so he can access one of my drives, and drag the files over to his computer. When done, the program can then be removed and both our systems are back to normal.
    Any suggestions?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Transfer a file from one computer to another
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
    No reason to allow access to your PC at all...use a file storage service...there are a few up to 10G that are Free...
    Problem with connecting it's not gonna be any quicker than if you upload it to file storage and he grabs it at his liesure...
    Or just mail him the DVD...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "