Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Excel to pull X page table from web to 1 sheet  (Read 3756 times)

lfrank22001

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Help with Excel to pull X page table from web to 1 sheet
    « on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:47 PM »
    Dear Computer Hope Forum,

Please help.

I am trying to download some information from one of my favorite sites, BoardGameGeek.com.

I can browse the "Board Game Geek" Database and sort it by "number of votes" from most votes to least votes:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/...s&sortdir=desc

I can create a web query in Excel to pull the main table with the information.

But the table spans a lot of pages.

What I want to do is pull the main table from page 1, 2, 3, etc... into a single spreadsheet in MS Excel.

Preferably I would like to do this keeping the HTML intact, because I need to do a second step to extract the "game ID" from each of the game name links to the specific game pages.

Can anyone help? Please?

Besides pulling 2+ pages into 1 sheet, I need to be able to specify a range. I can use the browse feature of the web to figure out how many pages deep I need go in order to get down to 1-2 votes, but I don't know how to pull the pages into 1 or specify a range.

Thanks!

Lee

P.S. All of this is so I can use another program BGG 2 NanDeck to download more information than is available via the browse feature on Board Game Geek. Once I have the single spreadsheet above with all the games that have at least 1 or 2 "votes". I can extract out a list of game ids and feed that into BGG2NanDeck. That will let me pull detailed information for each game. But I need to have a list of games that have votes... BGG 2 NanDeck "crashes" if a game has no votes, so I can't just request every sequential game ID number from BGG 2 NanDeck.

lfrank22001

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Help with Excel to pull X page table from web to 1 sheet
      « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:12:35 AM »
      I noticed the URL I am trying to pull from didn't paste correctly.

The correct URL is here:
      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame?sort=numvoters&sortdir=desc