Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Error  (Read 4575 times)

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Hard Drive Error
    « on: February 28, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
    Greetings to the Group - I recently had another hard drive added internally and I'm getting this constant error " the following hard disks are reporting failure.  Disk Name SAMSUNG HD502HJ ATA Device".  The disk is empty but I formatted it and ran check disk and everything is fine.  I copied a test file, video file, and the drive is fine, the file is there and plays normal.  There is absolutely nothing odd with the drive in copying to and from it, or reading files.  The tech did unplug the case fan because he needed that plug for the hard drive.  Therefore the fan is not used.  I don't need the fan as this pc is in a constant air conditioned room as we live in the Philippines and the pc doesn't get warm at all.  So what is the problem with it as I get this error constantly and when I just cancel it, it comes back shortly.  The error offers to back up what's on the drive, but there isn't anything anyway.  I wonder if the problem might be something to do with the wiring harness or the plug that was used for the hard drive.  The system is a new W7 Basic pc with a couple of other hard drives, see attached.

Any Ideas on this?

Thanks,
    Jim 

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hard Drive Error
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
    What and where is the reporting error ocurring ? ?
    Is it a Windows message ? ? or is it a boot message on startup ?

P.S. Air conditioning is fine...but all heated components still need airflow...especially in humid conditions.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
      It's come at boot and remains on my screen.  I just minimize it so I can work.  If I close it or cancel it, just comes back in a few minutes.  I can't get rid of it at all.

Jim

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
      If it comes on at boot up it's a Smart HDD error message...the drive is failing.
      I wouldn't trust it with any important data...even though as you say it works.

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »
        OK and thanks for your help.  So then it's the hard drive itself, or in a connection do you think?

Jim

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »
        Yes, forced air is needed.   :)

What is the model number of the PC?
        How many drives does it have?
        What kind of power supply does it have? The mention of not meany  plugs makes me imagine that the PSU was not intended for heavy use.
        Is this a PATA drive? havering a wide ribbon cable?  If so, the jumpers my not have been set right. Or the cable is not being used correctly. I have seen techs put the ribbon cable in the wrong way. Or use a 40 pin a the 80 pin is needed.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »
        Ribbon cables cant go in the wrong way...thats why they are keyed on top.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
        Ribbon cables cant go in the wrong way...that's why they are keyed on top.
        Yes they can. Some techs put the slave into the motherboard. That is wrong.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:40:56 AM »
        Quote from: Geek-9pm
        Is this a PATA drive?

Highlight SAMSUNG HD502HJ in first post - copy to clipboard - Google - paste - notice top result "Samsung HD502HJ 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive"  (5 seconds approx)

Yes they can. Some techs put the slave into the motherboard. That is wrong.

This is a SATA drive. Anyhow, as far as I know, with an 80 wire (modern) IDE cable, the motherboard/slave/master connector designations only mean anything if the drives are jumpered for Cable Select. If the drives are jumpered for master & slave it does not matter at all which connectors you use. With the older 40 wire cables, it never mattered.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:40:45 AM »
        If the drives are jumpered for master & slave it does not matter at all which connectors you use.

Now I am wondering if that is right...

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:44:24 AM »
        MB=========================slave======master.

As you said this may be a carryover from the 40 conductor leads but it is the proper connection layout.

MrSlickB

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »
          I would sudjest a thourough checkup on the autencity of the HDD, make sure that the jumpers are not set wrongly, also I would advice on a change of HDD, or make good sure not to place into it any valuable document.

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »
            Problem solved!  I ran SeaTools by Seagate and the hd failed one of the tests, so it went back to be replaced.  Thanks for all of your input here.

Jim