Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer switching off during startup  (Read 2777 times)

Keppers

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer switching off during startup
    « on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »
    I've got a problem with a Packard Bell that's got me a bit stumped. I think it's hardware based on the symptoms but I wondered if anyone could help with a diagnosis.

It's a Packard Bell iMedia B2619UK base computer, running Windows Vista Home Basic, Intel Celeron Dual, with an nVidia card.

This afternoon, it froze abruptly whilst in use, stayed frozen for a short time (can't be sure of time as I wasn't there) before switching off. Ever since, it switches off very soon after startup. When it's been left for a while without being plugged in, it gets as far as the purple Packard Bell screen with details on "Press F2 for BIOS" etc before switching itself off. After that, switching it on sees it switch off progressively quicker each time.

Both the PSU and main fan are working, and the capacitor's all look fine on the motherboard. A friend mentioned the RAM might be the problem - taking the RAM out and starting up issued a long beep before the computer switched off. I have a CD-R with a diagnostic test on for memory, but the PC switches off too quickly to change the boot up to CD.

Essentially it's just cutting out about 10-20 seconds after being switched on, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I plugged an old PSU and hard drive into the motherboard, and for a few seconds, the main fan started to spin, but died pretty quickly.

Is there anything obviously wrong here that I could check for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer switching off during startup
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »
    Essentially it's just cutting out about 10-20 seconds after being switched off..

The symptom is often the failure of the CPU fan, not the other fans(s). Look and see if to see if the CPU fan is blocked with dust.

Also, movement may have dialoged the CPU heat sink.

Keppers

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Computer switching off during startup
      « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
      The CPU Fan is one thing I haven't checked actually. I'll have a check of that and the heat sink tomorrow and let you know how it looks. Thanks!