Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Disk Partition Blunder  (Read 4269 times)

SteamBoatWillie

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows 7 Disk Partition Blunder
    « on: March 08, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
    Well here is the most embarrassing moment of my career as a young computer builder. I was so excited to install a SSD, that after I cloned my HDD to my SSD I had two drives with the same data on them. What I shouldve done was move C to X then boot from X to change D to C and just boot from C. What I actuallu did was boot from D, said hey its working and delted C. Npw Windows 7 boots to the login screen, then it prepares desktop says build is not genuine and I can not click any buttons and can only load things from task manager... D:widnows/etc. I am certain if I change d to c and load from c all will be fine... i cannot change boot partition however... what do I do?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 7 Disk Partition Blunder
    « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »
    Can contact the manufacturer of the PC and buy a system restore set for less than $40 usually. A friend of mine made a similar mistake cloning a drive once and cloned the empty drive over the drive with the system data. HP sent him a USB thumb drive with the OS on it for a small fee. I think he said it was $35.

SteamBoatWillie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »
      I am the manufacturer .... :'(

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:11:24 PM »
      You should have the original Windows 7 DVD then with key to rebuild it from scratch then ... right?

SteamBoatWillie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
        I have the case... with activation code. Disk is MIA... I dunno how.. or why its not where its supposed to be.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 11:14:30 PM »
        Firsts rule of DUY is to remember whee you put stuff. ::)

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:30:34 PM »
        If you have a friend with a same Windows 7 DVD, you can use theirs to build your system and activate it using your key to be legal. Otherwise its either find the disc or buy a new one unfortunately.

I actually need to rebuild my MS Home Server one of these days to different hardware and am missing the disc. If I am lucky its still in the DVD Rom of the system that I built as a MS Home Server 2 years ago that is burried under my desk in the corner.

I went to toss away some old CD-ROMs once and decided to take paperclip to them first to check for discs and it was a good thing I did so, I found my Windows 98 SE CD in one of them and White Zombie Astro Creep 2000 CD in another that was missing for years...LOL

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »
        Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Which is too often.
        But I think there is some way you can get a download from MS or one of its stores. 

If you get the right version, all you need is the product key. I believe I did this once for a my brother-in-law. He lost the restore partition on his laptop. But I was able to download a Windows 7 installer that was equal to his. I used his product key and it worked.

I think that is what happened.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
        Yes you can download Windows 7 ISO's.  Here are all the links.  I used one to build a bootable flash drive.
        http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/
        This tool helps to build it:  Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe
        http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
        http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

SteamBoatWillie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »
          Thanks guy, I ended up pirating a bootable flashdrive version then plugged in my cd key.

All is good now. :)

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
          Thanks guy, I ended up pirating a bootable flashdrive version then plugged in my cd key.
          Hopefully its clean, I wouldnt have used that and would be very cautious about using that vs microsoft download iso as for it can be loaded with rootkit or keylogger etc. A Pirated OS is looking for trouble even if you use a legit key.

Glad your back in business, but I'd give it a very thorough scan for a rootkit or malware before you use it for anything that can ruin your day if the info leaks. A hackers best tool is piece of software or an OS in this case that looks innocent to bait people to download and install, and some of the best tool methods are to bundle their tools with other indemand software as a trojan. And right at an OS installation, there is no protection since an OS is clean when installed from the original disc's or microsoft download source, so it is the ultimate way for a hacker to get someone to set up a dirty computer with tools to hide itself very well and those who bite at the bait will likely feel the pain of the hook in the end!

So there is the potential to install what you would feel was a clean system build, and it may be one of the better hacker tools that hides itself from any installed antivirus's after the altered OS package is installed, and the minute it connects to the internet its a data leak sending info back to hacker(s) or ready to receive remote control from hacker(s) to perform illegal activities through your computer as a relay point and hide their location by running attacks and illegal activities from your location etc.