Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Minecraft server decisions  (Read 6307 times)

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Minecraft server decisions
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
Considering making an older pentium 4ht computer with a gig and a half of ram a dedicated minecraft server?

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
Re: Minecraft server decisions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »
My first decision is what is should I use.
Windows server 2003 or An open source os.
I was thinking Ubuntu server. My major concern is ram usage as I have not used server 2003 and am not framilular with many Linux server commands besides working with files and the package manager.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
For minecraft server, you dont need to use a server os. I have friends running it on old systems with Windows XP. Also its not a memory intensive application to run as just a server. 1GB is plenty, and 1.5GB is more than plenty.

The hardware specs of my one friends minecraft server is 1.5Ghz Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM running Windows XP Home. He added firewall exception and port forwarding on his router so other friends can connect to his minecraft server.

* The one advantage to more RAM such as the 1.5GB that you will have in yours is that I believe that the memory usage increases with each handle aka logged in user. My friend has less than 5 people connecting to it at any one time and no problems on P4 1.5Ghz and 1GB RAM and old 20GB IDE HD

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
My upload speed is like .7 mb/s will this be suitable for a minecraft server?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »
My upload speed is like .7 mb/s will this be suitable for a minecraft server?

Depends on the number of players. Chunks are around 96K each (128*16*16*3 bytes). The server sends the 81 chunks around a player, constantly loading chunks would then cause a load of around 194KB/s (if we assume smoothing over a delayed timeframe) per player, or around 1.5mbps.

However sending new chunks to players will only occur when they Join the game or move about. If we assume that all the players have already loaded where they are and move in one direction at walking speed, which is around 4.3 M/s, then the game will send them 9 chunks every 16 meters, which is about every 3.7 seconds. those 9 chunks are 96K uncompressed, but the server protocol uses gzip, which typically takes it to around 50K, so we can go with a total size for those 9 chunks of around 450K, meaning the data rate for a walking explorer would be around 121KB/s, or around 973kbps per player.

basically we have three scenarios:

No player is downloading new chunks. The player needs chunk update and other information from the server. This is generally around 8KB of packets every 2 or 3 seconds (not always, but in general). so we can figure a base rate of around 64 kbps.

Next we have the above explorer case. People are going to explore and as a result they will need to be send new chunks from the server. add 973kbps per player. Note this isn't required, of course; chunks will just load slower if the data rate is too low.

The you have the case where players are trying to download all the chunks in their radius, which is a whopping 96K*81 or around 7.8mbps per player.

On a 0.7k connection, a Minecraft server will work, but it will not have an easy time keeping up with more than 2 or 3 players, I'm guessing. I know I had trouble with a 1mbps connection and 3 players when I was testing a bukkit plugin.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.