Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware to operate computer via Remote Control device  (Read 3991 times)

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Hardware to operate computer via Remote Control device
    « on: March 11, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
    I am certain that there must be any number of devices which may be used to navigate or operate a computer via a standard remote control device.  But, if that's correct, it seems very difficult to locate such devices thru Google or other search engines.  If the word "remote" is used, almost all queries result in return of info relative to LogMeIn; TeamViewer; GoToMeeting; etc.
    Basically what I'm looking for is a device or system with which I can operate my video editing PC (located in my office); while viewing its display on the big screen TV in my living room (about 20 feet away); using perhaps a standard remote control unit, such as a TV remote, or A/V Receiver remote device, to send signals to the PC, received by a USB connected piece of hardware, which then transmits mouse clicks or navigational info to the computer.  In short, what I'm looking for is a means of operating the computer's keyboard and mouse while seated in another room of the house.

If anyone is aware of items which would fill this requirement, I would very much appreciate relevant info.
    Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hardware to operate computer via Remote Control device
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »
    A wireless keyboard and mouse combo...
    How you gonna see things from the other room ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:20:02 AM »
      The purpose of this endeavor is to operate the computer while its output is displayed on my big screen TV.  The computer's audio and video are output from my graphics card's HDMI port to a cable which connects to my A/V receiver on the other end, and then sends the signal to the TV in the living room.  I'm not aware of a wireless keyboard and mouse that would work at a distance of 20 feet from the computer.  If there are such animals, that would be very nice, and I'd love to hear about them.   Maybe there are also devices which serve to extend the range of wireless devices for computer, but I'm not aware of them.

Thanks.

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
        After searching on "long range wireless keyboard & mouse," I found that indeed there are such things - with ranges up to 30 feet.  Looks as though that should do the trick for me.  Once again Patio, you have been of assistance.  Thanks very much.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »
        Anytime...hope it works well for you.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "