Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing factory settings on new hard drive  (Read 5127 times)

jpro

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    installing factory settings on new hard drive
    « on: March 11, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »
    I have a Dell inspiron N5010 laptop. I created the full backup of the factory image on a USB when I got the computer as instructed. I replaced the hard drive and need to put the factory image back on the computer. I put in the USB and it repartitioned the hard drive and seemed to put everything on the computer. I used the computer for an hour and it worked great then needed to reboot. Once I rebooted I get a "windows failed to start" error (see attachment). Status 0xc000000e. Anytime I put the USB back in it reformats the hard drive and completely reinstalls everything and it'll work great untill I reboot again...then i get the same error. Any ideas? Thanks

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: installing factory settings on new hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »
    It is asling for the Dell CD for install of Windows XP. Which you do not have?
    Did you already try the Dell web site.
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/17334763.aspx
    If that does not help, come back here am I  or somebody, will help.

jpro

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »
      I have windows 7. The computer did not come with the windows CD. It had me create a windows backup on a USB drive before I used the computer. I have used this backup before and it worked. I don't know what I've done differently this time.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:27:57 PM »
      If you did not  set the write-protect on the stick, a virus could have invaded the device.
      But why would you have to use it more that three times? You may have an issue with the PC.
      If you have the product key, your scan get an ISO image from r Microsoft.
      You will haven to Google it or go to this place:
      http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/f/download-windows-7.htm

Thee has been a change in MS policy to the effect he MS does not have a Win 7 download for most users. But you still might find is somewhere.

The forum does not endorse  bogus downloads of copyrighted products. Yet MS does make Win 7 available to certain people. (But they now are pushing windows n8.)

You can borrow a legal DVD from a friend, install it with your product key, and return the disc. That is inside the law.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
      It's not a virus.

Let's make sure the bootloader is correct. Please download and run the FREE version of EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/) and check.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »
      Hi

What drive did you get as a replacement. My thoughts are that the factory image may not like installing on a much larger hard drive. So the suggestion by Allan to get  that CD and check the boot loader and perhaps the partitioning is a good start. Also check the drive is not set in the bios for auto detect it may be better to run it in IDE Mode to test .

:)

Lisa
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
      I can't imagine that the size of the hard drive has anything to do with anything.

jpro

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:58:37 AM »
        The new hard drive was bought from dell and was exactly what I had before.
        Geek-We had a virus that we couldn't get rid of so we wiped the computer and started over. Then, months later, the computer started acting funny, before we figured out that the hard drive was failing, we tried reimagining the computer several times. Then, after I installed the new hard drive, we put everything back on, so we've used the backup USB several times (all times for our computer).

Allen, I downloaded the EasyBCD last night. What exactly does this do? All I did was downloaded EasyBCD and used it to check what was booting, which it was the c drive windows 7. That is the only thing I did different and now the computer reboots/works like new. Just curious what this program does for future reference? thanks for the help

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
        jpro, You can thank  Allan, the forum moderator. He new what to do.
        Here is part of a review of  what EasyBCD can do:
        by: CNET staff on November 07, 2012
        A freeware package for noncommercial use, EasyBCD is designed to help manage and control startup operations. It works with the later Windows operating systems, including Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, both 32-bit and 64-bit. It also works with Linux and Mac systems.
        During installation, you can choose to put an EasyBCD quick-start icon on the desktop. Once the program has started, a window appears with pull-down menus for File, Tools, and Help. Buttons on the left side of the window are for tasks such as system backup, editing the boot menu, and general settings. In addition to its main task of managing the bootup process of the operating system, one of the most useful aspects of this application is the ability to create and manage bootable USB devices, including flash drives. It can also repair boot files and allow booting from your choice of operating systems. There are a few drawbacks to using this software; the menu is not that intuitive and takes some getting used to. But once you're familiar with it, it works seamlessly and quickly.
        EasyBCD downloads and installs quickly and was stable in our tests. While less experienced users might not have the knowledge to take advantage of all it has to offer, this freeware could be a good addition to any user's toolbox.
        Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of EasyBCd 2.2.
        Read more: EasyBCD - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/EasyBCD/3000-2094_4-10556865.html#ixzz2NKpUaZOz