Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: disable numlock?  (Read 3749 times)

hel22

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    disable numlock?
    « on: March 04, 2013, 05:18:06 AM »
    I have a new asus laptop (K55VD) and whenever I reboot my computer the numlock is on again. This annoys me to no end.
    Is there no way to permanently unlock it so I can lock it whenever I want?
    I did make a search and I found an answer but it says it's for up to XP only and I have windows 7.
    Anyone?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: disable numlock?
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:11:07 AM »
    In some laptops it's a setting in the BIOS...
    Instructions on entering Setup are on the bottom of the screen immediately on startup and before the Win splash screen...
    NOTE: Don't make any changes in there you are not familiar with ...you can render the laptop unbootable with the wrong settings.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hel22

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »
      Thanks for that. Does anyone know what I have to do then?

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
      Find the bios hot key. It may be any one of these keys since different manufacturers like to be different than others ... Delete, ESC, F10, F12, F2, INSERT.

You have to press these keys 1 at a time to find the hot key during POST before the Windows loading screen logo appears. Once you are into the BIOS you have to carefully navigate using the controls of arrow keys etc and +/- or Page Up / Page Down and Enter key to make changes etc. All bios's are different in layout and user controls. You should find an option to set Num Lock = Off etc and then select to save your changes before you exit the bios config. Once changed and saved state, then you should be all set w/o num lock on at boot.

hel22

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »
        Ok, I went into bios but there was no option there at all to disable the numlock...
        Now thats really annoying.
        any other option? I just read up on it and what I want is numlock ON after boot. its always off.

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
        Only fix for this may be to run a routine as part of the startup folder that runs to enable your Num Lock. I can create a quick macro that can compile as an EXE if you want this quick and free solution. The fix is placing the exe in the start up folder of windows so every time that windows boots it launches this macro to enable Num Lock and then the macro ends. Send me a personal message here with your e-mail address if this is something you would like to do. I can have this to you in less than 24hrs for free.