Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: external hdd  (Read 4105 times)

Mick23

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    external hdd
    « on: February 26, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »
    Hey there, I have a WD 1 TB external usb harddrive that was half full.  It was working one night, and the next day it wasn't showing up in the computer.  It shows at the bottom of  disk management as Disk 1 unknown 931.51 GB Not Initialized on the left, and 931.51 GB Unallocated on the right.  I have not initialized or allocated the drive.  I have tried Easus Data Recovery, and Active@Partition Recovery, to no avail.  I have tried the hdd on 2 other computers as well.  I am not sure what software I should be using to try to recover my files.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: external hdd
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »
    I own a copy of GetDataBack NTFS that works well. They have a download available to try before you buy. You will be able to see your files through the recovery process using the trial, it will list all recoverable content, but in order to actually recover the content you have to register the software. I have used this on a number of drives and it works well, but I would run the trial on your drive first as for if it cant assemble your data off the drive there is no sense buying it.

The software is $80 btw, but it was way cheaper than sending the drives out to a data recovery house. *Also they have a couple of versions and you need to know if it was FAT32 or NTFS to run the correct version on your drive.

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm 

Mick23

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:44:36 PM »
      Well, unfortunately, neither version of the software worked.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
      Here is yet another free tool.
      I have used it. If the disk is usable at all, it works.
      http://www.majorgeeks.com/MiniTool_Partition_Wizard_Home_Edition_d6175.html

Mick23

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
        Well, this didn't work either.  Do I have to rebuild the partition table, and if so how?  Thanks.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
        The tool mentioned above unfortunately doesn't deal with data loss or recovery...
        If that is what you are after maybe there will be a few other suggestions.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
        Well, unfortunately, neither version of the software worked.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.
        Also qualify this info as to what you tried...and why it didn't work.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mick23

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »
          I have tried: Active@Partition, MiniTool Partition, Minitiool Power Data Recovery, Easus Data Recovery, Get Data Back, and ICare Data Recovery.  They scan for hours, but don't find anything.  I know there is over 500 GB of files on the drive.  I literally used it one night, and they were gone the next. 

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »
          Assuming you have already swapped the USB cable.

If you desperately need the data, there is one approach to this that you haven't tried yet. It involves carefully removing the hard drive from the external enclosure and attaching it to a(desktop computer/tower) which has an available SATA port on the motherboard. You attach the drive as an extra drive on the highest SATA port, so if you have say 4 SATA ports on the motherboard, 0,1,2,3  ... you connect it to SATA port 3 for best results so that this drive is not seen by the system as a bootable drive.

To do this you have to carefully remove the hard drive from the external enclosure, which in some cases means that you end up destroying the enclosure in the process. Some enclosures have screws that make removing the hard drive easy, while others either are snap together clam shells which sometimes have ejection slots for a flat headed screw driver to apply pressure and release the snap lock plastic tabs, and others are combination of both screws and locking plastic snap tabs, and in some uncommon situations the drives were never meant to ever come out of the enclosure and its a non-serviceable snap tight enclosure. These you end up having to carefully find the seam, and wedge a screw driver into them and pry at the platic to break away the plastic and create a hole in the plastic without damaging the drive inside. (so you dont want your tools reaching into the enclosure far enough to damage the drive, and you also do not want to take a hammer or use any other type of hitting force to break it open as for this will likely destroy the drive inside.) One a hole is started in the plastic, you can take a pair of pliers or dikes and break away more and more plastic bending it and tearing it open.

Once the drive is exposed, removal is usually very simple a couple screws and its out when carefully unplugged from the SATA Power/Communications board that is inside.

- This process will eliminate having to worry about USB/SATA communications conversion which some tools can not handle, when they were designed for local drive access.

- If its as simple as the USB/SATA com board dying in the enclosure from as a static discharge etc, then you may have instant access to your data without having to use any data recovery tools. This would be the best thing to happen for you at this point!

- If you are still unable to access your data now with drive attached locally without USB conversion, and trying all tools suggested again, then the only other options are to pay for the expensive process by a data recovery center to recover the data or take a total data loss and start over with a new external drive, without trust in this drive if you are able to format it and use it ever again.

* For all important data its best to have at least 2 backups of the data. This way when something like this happens its highly unlikely that both drives would die at the same time. Many people put all their eggs in one basket and get bit by total data losses. It has happened to myself before with a single point of data failure as well as I am sure others here. For extremely important data, I also burn the data to DVD and place it into a jewel case in a shoebox with a small notebook with a number on the DVD and Date of the Burn, so I can quickly index where important data is in my DVD Data Archive if I need to access it. And this came in very handy when I needed to look up my ebay business information the one day from an investment I made in which in order to not get over taxed on a short term gain, I had to find the PDF of the purchase price on the invoice for the item that I bought that I ended up selling for much more. If I didnt have this documentation, uncle sam would assume that it was 100% profit and I would have taken a significant profit margin loss.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
          Thee is a point where the OP can not do it with any software tools. He can ship it to a company with a clean room and the equipment needed to open the drive and lock  a  platter on a lathe and read the data.

Prices vary. No recommendations.

Mick23

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
            Sorry, I have been away, and so I just read the last 2 entries.  I really appreciate the help Dave.  I will definately try what you explained so well.  I will keep you posted.  One other thing, is it possible that there is a problem with the usb ports on my laptop that is erasing the data?  The reason I ask is, a few days after the external hdd lost all data, I plugged in a 16GB usb pen drive to copy some files from there.  I copied some files successfully, but when I went back into the drive to look at more files, they were gone.  Without removing the drive, I opened device manager and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and everything was back to normal.  Should I be looking into replacing the usb ports?  Thanks for your help again.