Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Confusion about Server ram for PowerEdge 2950.  (Read 7000 times)

JaredKat

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Confusion about Server ram for PowerEdge 2950.
    « on: March 19, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
    Hello everyone.

I know this is my first post, but I would like to immediately identify that I have experience in computers.

Well, on to the topic.

I have a Dell Poweredge 2950 server, that I am sure is a generation 1 of this model. It has 8 gigs installed in a 4x2 setup. I am looking to upgrade to 32 gigs of ram, and through my searching of ebay, I have found that the ram for the generation 3 model of the server costs significantly less than the ram that is said to be for the generation 1.

Both seem to be the PC2-5300 667MHz FBD DIMM type of ram, and I can't find anything that suggests that the ram advertized for the 2950 III would not be compatible with the original 2950. The spec sheets from dell even say that they are the same sort of DIMM, with the same DIMM slots. This difference in price between every ram kit for the third generation being twice as much for ram kits for the original generation server leaves me speculating. Before I risk my money on buying a ram kit that might not work, I would like to confirm that they are compatible before I buy

Thank you

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Confusion about Server ram for PowerEdge 2950.
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »
    I - 32GB max memory; Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (ECC); Slots: 8
    III - 64GB max memory; Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (ECC); Slots: 8

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerEdge%202950&Cat=RAM

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerEdge%202950%20III&Cat=RAM

ECC memory is much more expensive than non-ECC & DDR2 is a lot more expensive than DDR3.

You could buy a newer & faster computer for what the memory costs for the Power Edge.  $1200 for 32GB (4GB X 8). 1-4GB module is $160/ea.