Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound isn't working on ANY media player? Sorry for the long description.  (Read 6580 times)

itsmatt234

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Right, I have a ACER Aspire V5-531. The processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 967 @ 1.30GHz 1.30 GHz and it has a 64-bit operating system. Now all the technical bit is out of the way, I'll get to the problem. This laptop came with Dolby Advanced Audio and one day it randomly popped up saying; 'Unable to start the Dolby audio driver. Please restart the computer or reinstall the driver if the problem persists.' So, obviously the first thing I did was search the internet for a problem and all the solutions I could find said for me to uninstall and reinstall the driver... One problem; in the Devices and Maintenance section on the laptop, there is no such driver present, which I don't understand. So then I fully update windows and still the problem persists, nothing happened, so I found the download for the driver online and installed; nothing happened. I even asked windows to repair the driver itself, still the problem persists and nothing has changed. By this point I'm getting pretty annoyed because obviously windows media player wasn't playing video files because of this. The next thing I did was download Winmap media player and also VLC media player to see if I had the same issue on there. Winmap didn't even play video files so I uninstalled and VLC plays the video, but no audio. I presumed that this was due to the Dolby Digital issue. So, I then uninstalled the entire program and reinstalled it onto my laptop again and guess what? The problem is still there and I still get the same message and no media player plays out sound. But, what I don't understand is that I get sounds off all other areas of my computer, including other video playing sites such as YouTube. I even get the mouse clicking sound for God's sake!
    Now, there's the problem, and I'm posting it on here because I am hoping that someone has a solution for me (preferably step by step, I'm not a total computer whiz haha.) Please help me as soon as possible because as you can probably tell, this is extremely irritating me and I have tried every possible solution that I can think of. It would have been sorted if I could actually find the driver or possibly switch the driver my computer uses for the media players?
    I have Windows 7 if that helps, and like I said it's all fully updated and scanned for any viruses and stuff like that... Please help! Thanks!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Is it Windows 7 or 8? Did you check device manager on this? See the driver here http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

itsmatt234

Topic Starter

Starter

Windows 7 and yes I did check device manager but, like I said, the driver doesn't seem to be anywhere to be found. Also, I've already tried to download the driver at Acer, but it doesn't show up when I enter my serial number or model etc.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      If it's a laptop or Netbook it may be part of the Chipset drivers...if so try re-installing those and re-booting...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

itsmatt234

Topic Starter

Starter

I don't know what Chipset drivers are? But yeah it's a laptop

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        If you don't have the Driver CD that came with the laptop get them from the laptop manuf. site directly...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "