Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a way to change folders and files behavior in Windows 7  (Read 4665 times)

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
My Operating System is Windows 7 Home Premium.

I always had trouble with the libraries, folders and files in windows 7, which I never had with Windows XP. Is there some way I can change their behavior in Windows 7, at least approximately to how it was in XP?
Loraine

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Is there a way to change folders and files behavior in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
Windows Explorer is not that much different between the two, so I don't understand what your problem is.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »
Please explain what it is you're not happy with and wish to change.

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
1. Mainly it is the saved files and/or folders appearing in other locations in addition to the library that I saved them in. For example, When I download  and save a progrmme or file etc. from the internet to a particular library using 'save as' function, it also appears either in 'my documents or in the folder identified by my user name. Can this be changed so that the contents are found in only in the location that I save them in?

2. Can I do something to be able to freely move and arrange files and folders within the same location, The way it was possible to do in XP. Not being handicapped by the limited 'arrange' options of Window 7.

Thank you.
Loraine

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
A Library is the aggregate content of multiple folders. When you save to a library, it saves to the "save" location within that library. To view these aggregate folders and which one is the save location, you can right-click and select Properties.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
I would like to disable libraries using this script. Before doing that, can you please tell me what will happen to the files and folders in those libraries? Will they be saved in their defaut locations?

Thank you.
Loraine

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
I would like to disable libraries using this script. Before doing that, can you please tell me what will happen to the files and folders in those libraries? Will they be saved in their defaut locations?

Thank you.

They will remain where they are. A library is just a kind of imaginary folder. The important thing to remember is this: the subfolders are not actually stored in the library.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
2. Can I do something to be able to freely move and arrange files and folders within the same location, The way it was possible to do in XP. Not being handicapped by the limited 'arrange' options of Window 7.

You can arrange them by name, size, date, etc just as you could in XP. Also you can group them. See the View menu. What do you mean by the limited "arrange" options?

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
They will remain where they are. A library is just a kind of imaginary folder. The important thing to remember is this: the subfolders are not actually stored in the library.

Your analogy of the library to an imaginary folder makes this very clear to me. This is something I have struggled with for some time. Then the sub folders; If they are not stored in the library, then they must be stored in another location. How is this location determined? Does the 'system' decide where to store them?

Thank you
Loraine

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
They are gathered by the system from the existing folders. It will make a guess to start. For example the Documents library contains the user's My Documents folder, the Pictures will contain their My Pictures folder etc. Also you can add your own choices of folders. They are not moved or altered. The Library is like a kind of index.

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
You can arrange them by name, size, date, etc just as you could in XP. Also you can group them. See the View menu. What do you mean by the limited "arrange" options?

I was thinking whether it would be possible to drag and arrange them randomly, the way I might like to have them for a particular purpose, instead of by name, size, date ctc.

Regards.
Loraine

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »
I was thinking whether it would be possible to drag and arrange them randomly

You can do that on the desktop. I didn't know you could do that in XP folders, let alone Windows 7 folders.

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »
Thank you very much for all the help. I think I can manage things now.

Kind regards.
Loraine

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
And kind regards to you too!

Very best wishes

S Trout