Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can i network through USB?  (Read 4776 times)

disbot4

can i network through USB?
« on: July 16, 2004, 12:52:38 PM »
Here is my problem. I just want to install a wireless PC card onto my old laptop, but I need IE 5.5 or above. So i try connecting to AOL from so long ago and the mail works, but nothing else does. It might be because the site where i got the access numbers from has like a thing that says "Baud Rate V.90" which might mean it only works with AOL 9.0?? so now im thinking, well maybe i can network my laptop to my computer for a little while just to get the internet connection...but it has no ethernet jack. So..can i network it through a USB??? Or is there an easier way i can do this...like getting IE 6.0 ON A CD!!! I hate how their system works....

thanks a lot
David

merlin_2

Re: can i network through USB?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 06:20:23 PM »
direct cable connection <data link serial cable>and wan springs to mind...netgear  what o/s silly question i know but it may help your woes ;D

indicom

Re: can i network through USB?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 05:07:55 AM »
You can network through USB using a USB network cable. Price around 15-20 quid. Or connect through parallel/ serial if you laptop has these connections. Or why not get yourself a LAN  card that sits in your PCMCIA slot. That way you will have fast reliable cabled network and internet connection sharing. USB network dongles by Belkin are good, plug and play. I have one for gaming, works a dream.
Lots of possibilities to connect laptops and desktops. Unless you have a good working knowledge of wireless networking, then i would go for .11g or you may find it slow with 11b wireless. I have 3 laptops and desktops and find wireless unreliable, go for a cable network, cheaper and reliable. Hope this helps.