Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Needing help choosing a power supply  (Read 4321 times)

SCATTERHD

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Needing help choosing a power supply
    « on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »
    Hello!

Recently i was given a new graphics card only to find out that my current builds power supply isn't man enough to use it. Which Leeds me to look for a new PSU, if anyone could be willing to give me a hand in finding a man enough power supply it would be greatly appreciated 

my specs are

- motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX Socket AM3 DVI VGA HDMI Out 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    - processor - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 6MB L3 Cache Cache 125W
    - graphics card - Zotac Geforce gtx 480 graphics card 1536mb (amp edition)

If you need to know any more information please let me know

Thank you

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Needing help choosing a power supply
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
    First of all, whoever gave you a "ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 AMP video card", you have a great friend there  ;D

Looking at hardware, your looking at a 650watt power supply, although I see references to 450 watts being minimum. Its always better to have adequate wattage than to be running the PSU at 100% and burn it out, or have to buy a heavier duty PSU later when you add or upgrade further down the road. A 650 watt should be plenty for now and give you many years of good service. *Although I would buy a power supply from a well known and respected name brand as for some that claim to be for example what happened to me ... 500 watts are barely able to handle even a 300 watt load such as this linked PSU from Golden Power that came bundled in a cheap computer case http://sohoo2008.en.made-in-china.com/product/veFxHiwALIWM/China-8cm-Lower-End-Power-Supply-ATX-500-.html

Corsair, Thermaltake, and XFX are good brands ..... while Antec, Coolmax, Diablotek are hit and miss and I usually look at the feedback of these brands in relation to a specific power supply before buying. They have had good and bad batches through the years.

I am currently using a Coolmax in my gaming system which was rated 4.5 of 5 stars and like 68 feedbacks when I placed my order to buy it inexpensively, but its only a 460 watt because I am running AM3 Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz with 4GB DDR2 800Mhz Corsair XMS2 RAM, with a low cost $30 video card, but pretty well performance ASUS AMD ATI Radeon 5450HD with 1GB DDR3 which is not power hungry like higher end cards. This is not to suggest going with Coolmax, if I wasnt so cheap, I'd rather have a Corsair, Thermaltake, or XFX PSU and should have spent more than $25. But this PSU was cheap and has been reliable for over a year now of daily gaming.

Hunter quest

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:24:00 AM »
      Yeah. What's your old power supply's output?

SCATTERHD

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »
        Thank you for replying!

My current power supply is Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express which turns out it should be able to power it but the problem i have now is that the power supply has not got any wires which can plug into the 8 pin power socket on graphics card so i'm forced to buy a new power supply anyway (because i don't really want to use any connectors) i looked into "Corsair, Thermaltake, and XFX" PSU and couldn't find anything within my price range but i did find this - http://www.ebuyer.com/200490-coolermaster-gx-750w-psu-rs750-acaae3-uk and was wondering what you guys thought of it.

Once again guys thank you for replying

ImnoGuru

Adviser
        • The wonders of modern technology.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »
          I have been given a lot of good information in Computer Hope and noticed your request for help.
          Here is a link from one of quaxo's posts that has this link in it for power supply determinations.

Here is the actual page reference in case you are not familiar with how to open my hyperlink insertion.
          http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

I hope you find it useful.
          ImnoGuru
          It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

SCATTERHD

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:05:36 AM »
            Thankyou!