Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Protection.  (Read 3622 times)

henell

Topic Starter

Beginner

System Protection.
    « on: April 27, 2013, 07:08:57 AM »
    Windows 7 , 64 bit,  partitioned hard drive, C&D.  Files on D Drive. Operating system on C.
    I was looking at the System Protection, as regards restore points etc and noted that the C drive protection  was checked as turned on  but the D Drive was not turned on..
    Question,...... do I configure the D drive to protection "On" as well as the C drive,  or do not the files on D drive  matter as regards a system restore.?
    As you can tell I am still struggling to understand the computer logic..
    Thanks for any help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: System Protection.
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »
    Generally system restore points are to bring the OS, system files, registry etc, back to a healthy period before an issue or before malware in some cases. Its best NOT to have personal data as part of restore point because if set up this way all data newer than the restore points creation would get wiped clean in some cases.  I got bit using Symantec's GoBack and losing personal data. The good thing is the built in Windows restore I haven't lost data on yet. *Also its best to have an external backup of important data. Such as either an external hard drive with a copy of your data which is on your drive D: and back it up in intervals as needed. I use the following command which can be added to a batch file to keep my external hard drive up to date with data from my system.

xcopy C:\2013\*.* F:\*.* /s/d/y

your backup routine to the external or thumb drive large enough to take the data could be written as

xcopy D:\*.* F:\*.*/s/d/y

which assuming your F: drive is your external drive with E: as single DVD Rom, but you can change this to any letter that your external drive is at. The /s/d/y switches will perform this xcopy routine populating your external hard drive with an exact copy of the contents of D: and each time this command is run it will only copy over the changes ( according to date/time stamp ), so if you have for example 742GB of data, and only 329MB has changed since the last backup to external, this xcopy routine will compare your D: drive to the external drive such as F: and it will only copy the newest data to the external since there is no sense in copying over data that hasnt changed since the last backup to external. Basically the very first backup takes a while if there is lots of data, but backups there after are pretty quick if not much has changed. Another reason why I like this xcopy routine. ( Also to note Robocopy has replaced xcopy, BUT xcopy is still functional, so I continue to use xcopy with my Windows 7 system )

The only catch to this is that if you delete data on your D: drive, you will still retain a copy of it on the external. This instruction is meant to populate the external, but not perform a cleanup to make it an exact match for files deleted on the D: drive to then match to the F: drive with those same files removed.

I generally like this populate with data without cleanup to external drive as for it has saved me a few times in the past when I deleted a project and then realized I needed to look back at the project. I am able to attach my external and navigate to where it is or search for the file and get to it. That is why I dont use backup programs or the built in backup feature of windows, and stick to useing this simple command which can be added to a batch file and able to be double-clicked and update the external as frequently as needed.

Also using this backup method, I can keep my most important data to have immediate access to in the fastest manner that is frequently used etc such as music always on the local machine, while data that is not crucial to being readily available on the local machine such as a bunch of family vacation videos, I can delete the video data from my C:\2013\ folder to free up my space on my C: drive which I have been hovering around 120GB free on for newer projects to use that space. My external which is a 1.5TB paired up with a system with a 500GB HDD gives me room to potentially hold almost 3x the capacity of what my local machine can hold in archived data with my local machine running on the most important data. And if I want to view the vacation at disney with my daughter enjoying herself and state of shock when someone in a micky costume walks by her and waves etc, its easily accessible on the external hard drive within a few minutes of setting up the drive and getting it connected.

I have since gotten a 2nd external to use in rotation with the 1st so that I dont have all my eggs in 1 basket. That is if my single external died or got infected somehow, without the 2nd drive potentially clean, I could lose all my data. So I have a pair of externals now that get updated on monthly rotation. *Reason for monthly rotation is to protect against trashing data on 2 drives if I ever had an infection that wasn't caught before the backup. Generally I have been good at not getting virus's, but in the past I lost a bunch of data due to a virus back in the days of Windows 3.1 on my 486 and my backup floppies of my data got trashed by getting infected since the minute they were inserted into the floppy drive they immediately got written the virus to them ( unless the lock tabs were set... well mine didnt have the lock (read-only) tabs set for write protection and so they got trashed. I have ever since implemented a backup with multiple copies of rewritable media that are in a rotation. And backed up my most important data to DVD-R discs to be added to a shoebox archive.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 04:14:48 PM »
    Your best bet is to use disc imaging software on a regular basis and you can then disable System Restore completely.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »
    Your best bet is to use disc imaging software on a regular basis and you can then disable System Restore completely.

I agree with Allan that creating a restore image of the drive is a good choice to recover from problems and set a system back to clean or healthy running highly configured condition. I prefer to burn the images to DVD-R discs, however if your image to be created is greater than 20GB (that is the data to be placed into the image exceeds 20GB ) you may want to not have to create a spanned image set of say 17 DVD's and use an external hard drive instead of equal or greater capacity to that of the systems hard drive for use as an image drive only.

However I would suggest still backing up personal data to an external drive on a regular basis as for a restore image would only contain data up to the creation date of that image, and you may find that you want access to the data later without having to use a tool to extract the file(s) from an image file and it would be easily accessible on the external.

I have used Ghost in the past many times and it works great for imaging a system and you can customize your image to create an image of C: without including D: etc, however I havent used it with Vista or 7, as for Ghost 2003 of which I own 5 licensed copies of only supports up to Windows XP.

Windows 7 has an image feature, but I haven't used it yet because I have so much installed on my C: drive that the image would be like 380GB because of all the large games installed at around 10 to 20GB each and that would amount to almost 85 burned DVD's. The next time I build this system clean install with Windows 7 and all drivers and security updates etc, when it consumes around 20GB of space I may try this Windows 7 system image utility and burn  up to 5 DVD-R's as a Image Recovery Set. More can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-a-system-image

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 04:20:54 AM »
    This is something I put together a while ago. I've posted it here a couple of times:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

henell

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 06:31:12 AM »
      Thank you all for your extensive inputs. I have habitually used "Q Back"  on an external hard drive to back up my files on a regular basis.
      Admittedly if I do a clean up on my "D" partition of the hard drive, when next the back up occurs the "ghost" files are still on that external hard drive.........but no matter.
      Thank you again.
      H

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 06:46:33 AM »
      Just a note of caution for reference...
      Image files...from whichever app hate cleanup and defrag processes...
      I have seen perfectly good/tested img's ruined by someone defragging the partition/drive they are on.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "