Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME - USB Hubs Not Working  (Read 2702 times)

UKSalford

Windows ME - USB Hubs Not Working
« on: October 09, 2005, 01:53:34 PM »
Hello there,

I have four USB hubs on my PC two on the front and two on the back.  The two on the front of my PC work perfectly, but the other two on the rear do not work so well.

For example, if I plug anything (ie keyboard, printer, scanner) into the rear two USB hubs, it just states that an unknown device has been installed as opposed to stating what the device is, and then in the device manager, there is a yellow exclaimation mark and needless to say whatever device I do plug into the rear does not work at all.

I know there is nothing wrong with my devices as if I plug them into the front USB hubs the computer detects the device and installs the appropriate software, yet the same doesn't work for the rear.

Can anyone please help me?

Dave

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows ME - USB Hubs Not Working
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:10:07 PM »
Did you do anything to break them does it give you a yellow ! on USB hub , generic USB etc... As far as im concern if the USB has the Yellow ! it is broken.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 04:13:19 PM »
Has this ever worked as you envision? Did something happen that could make it stop working? Hav eyou checked the owner's manual or motherboard manufacturer site? What make and model are we talking?

::) ::) ::) ::)

Davey Dude

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 09:19:42 AM »
They used to work, not sure why now they don't, and no there is no yellow ! mark.

Fed

• Sage
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 02:07:04 PM »
    there is a yellow exclaimation mark

and no there is no yellow ! mark

Reload the drivers Flame.

Davey Dude

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 05:12:48 AM »
    Reload what drivers Flame?  When I remove all the USBs from the device manager, they just load up with exactly the same drivers and still the issue continues.

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 02:25:35 PM »
      Load the drivers for anything that doesn't work, keyboard, printer, scanner.

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
        « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:53:18 AM »
        Tried System restore?
        If you unplug the front usb devices do the rear ones work then?

When you say 'hub' do you mean the ports or an actual additional external hub?
        Do the ports look damaged - is the internal plastic divider still there?
        A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

UKSalford

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 01:47:33 PM »
        Yes system restore does not restore them.  All the correct software for my USB devices is also  installed correctly as when I plug whichever component into one of the front USB slots, the device works perfectly.

Even if I unplug the front two USB's, the back two still don't really work.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 02:39:32 PM »
        irq.........windows allocates irq for usb devices/pnp......type msinfo32 in the run box......and post the list........what usb devices do you have ?you have to strike a balance.....of what your pc can/or cant do? list pc specs.....are all the usb devices enabled in the bios set-up screen?

Just like my car.......speedo ......states.....180mph......on the clock .....but unless its modified is will not reach 180.