Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Erasing Hard Drive in a Printer  (Read 3661 times)

02bin3

Erasing Hard Drive in a Printer
« on: April 05, 2013, 06:03:05 AM »
I just saw a disturbing video that showed office size, leased printers, have hard drives that store every single document that they've ever copied, and I was wondering if this is true of the smaller "home" printers that most of us have?  If it is true, then how can we erase that data before getting rid of the old printer?  You can view the video on youtube at:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZuvH89aklh8
          Thank you,

Salmon Trout

Re: Erasing Hard Drive in a Printer
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:25:37 AM »
Smaller "home" printers don't have hard drives in them. The kind that do are large ones used on office networks. Also many large office photocopiers have them. We have one where I work and the lease contract states that the hard drive shall be removed and a witnessed and documented erase carried out before the machine is placed in another office or sold. Also the manual shows how to erase the drive and we would do this first anyway.

02bin3

Re: Erasing Hard Drive in a Printer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »
Thank you, Salmon Trout, for your quick reply.  I will feel better now about getting rid of some old printers. 
               02bin3