Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer hangs when I boot.  (Read 3190 times)

MightyToad

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Computer hangs when I boot.
    « on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
    I have a Dell XP Windows computer. 

This occured because my laptop was not shutting down -- it was taking a long time and probably had hung up as it closed.  So I just closed it by closing the lid. ::)

Next time I tried to boot it it would hang after the Windows logo.  I can log onto the BIOS (pressing F12) and even tried to log on to Windows using the D drive with the repair disk.  I do get the repair disk but I am not sure what to do.  I tried fixing the boot (fixboot) but that did not work.

Right now I have a half booted computer that says Resuming Windows and below the timer - For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for windows, press f8.

Once it gets to this point I can do nothing.
    I can get F2 Set up and F12 at the start of the boot.

Help.  This computer is used for a large but unfunded advocacy group and we are all volunteers and have less than a few thousand dollars for the phone.  We are charged as a small business so it is expensive for us.

Thanks.  :)

Mighty Toad

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer hangs when I boot.
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »
    Welcome to the Forums!

When you turn on the computer, keep tapping the F8 key.

Can you get into Safe Mode?

MightyToad

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
      I get the message System restart has been paused:

Continue with system restart
      Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.

I selected Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.

And voila windows started to boot up. Some things did not initialize right or were evidentally stopped in the middle of initializing, so I used the task manager to shut it down and I let everything shut down.

When I booted it back up everything came back -- except it seems that it takes a long time for the task bar to come up.  This may just be the computer initializing things but I think it is fixed.

I can't believe it after about 6 weeks.  I have been using a new laptop that weighs a ton and I have trouble carrying it anywhere.  The little Dell is light and easy to carry -- old but it is pretty faithful and this was one of the few times I have had trouble with it.

Thank you for directing me -- I was just stumped.  I was looking for something that was harder than it was to fix.

Mighty Toad

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »
      Glad you got it working!

When you get the change, I suggest performing the steps listed in this post:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,62253.msg395334.html#msg395334

If you have the time, I would go through that entire FAQ. It would help speed up/clean up your computer.