Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Standard 5.25 Mic to USB Adapter  (Read 5184 times)

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
    Standard 5.25 Mic to USB Adapter
    « on: April 11, 2013, 07:24:57 AM »
    Basically, I'm trying to make a USB Adapter for a standard 5.25 Mic.  I don't really have funds to just get a USB Mic.  However, I think that there are enough parts here that I can save an build an apater.  I got a USB Cable, Jacks but, I probably can't just wire a jack too the USB Cable.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Standard 5.25 Mic to USB Adapter
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:17 AM »
    Why do you want a USB mic?  What about one that connects to a regular 3.5mm connector?  I believe they generally cost much less than USB mics.  3.5mm mics can be very inexpensive.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:58:59 PM »
    I am an electronics technician ... You wont be able to make a working USB MIC by just wiring a MIC to 4 USB wires, you need electronics with an amplifier with Analog to Digital Converter and ability to pass the audio digitally through the USB communications as well as a driver that will handle this. This is not something that is easily accomplished through a simple solder job and electrical tape!  ;)

If a 3.5mm MIC jack is not available and you really want to connect via USB, my suggestion would be to buy a USB Audio Adapter for around $8 to $20 (USD) that acts like a USB Sound Card, and plug MIC into that adapters 3.5mm jack. Here is an example of one model that I bought inexpensively: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186035

I have bought a few of these of Startech and Syba brand and they work well, however I haven't used them for studio recording quality, I have only used them for voice communications with ventrillo and online games to communicate by voice with other gaming group members. If you want highest quality, I assume you have a high quality MIC and would probably want to invest into a higher end audio card that installs internally to the computer.

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 05:51:46 AM »
      I am an electronics technician ... You wont be able to make a working USB MIC by just wiring a MIC to 4 USB wires, you need electronics with an amplifier with Analog to Digital Converter and ability to pass the audio digitally through the USB communications as well as a driver that will handle this. This is not something that is easily accomplished through a simple solder job and electrical tape!  ;)

If a 3.5mm MIC jack is not available and you really want to connect via USB, my suggestion would be to buy a USB Audio Adapter for around $8 to $20 (USD) that acts like a USB Sound Card, and plug MIC into that adapters 3.5mm jack. Here is an example of one model that I bought inexpensively: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186035

I have bought a few of these of Startech and Syba brand and they work well, however I haven't used them for studio recording quality, I have only used them for voice communications with ventrillo and online games to communicate by voice with other gaming group members. If you want highest quality, I assume you have a high quality MIC and would probably want to invest into a higher end audio card that installs internally to the computer.

So is my dad thats why I indicated that I have the probabole parts needed.  Cause, I need it for game playing not audio recording :/  I figured I may need an amplifier board. 

I may look into that but, I didnt want to have too buy like a whole bunch of stuff.  Guitar Hero an Rock Band just don't like not haveing a mic :/ 

I am famiular with those brands and find them to be okay an more of newegg's lower ended stuff. 

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »
      So is my dad thats why I indicated that I have the probabole parts needed.  Cause, I need it for game playing not audio recording :/  I figured I may need an amplifier board. 

I may look into that but, I didnt want to have too buy like a whole bunch of stuff.  Guitar Hero an Rock Band just don't like not haveing a mic :/

Cool that he is also an ET, but its far cheaper and far less time involved to buy one of these than it is to create your own. Even if you are able to get the parts needed and come in at less than $8 which I estimate that parts alone unless you can buy through a source that gets volume discount will go beyond $8. Plus you will have to hand solder all the many connections and hand soldering surface mount chips takes a lot of skill and precision not to stress the component with the heat running up the components legs and end up with a solder bridge when the flux primes the legs and the molten solder quickly flows and bridges them.. ( BEEN THERE myself and having to solder wick the bridge away without damaging the chip and the PCB ).

After all of this is done. Many hours invested in making this device, you then need it to be supported by the system with a driver. I am not aware of any open source or generic drivers to pair up with USB Analog/Digital Audio communications to make it work for your project.

If my child approached me as an ET, to make this device, I'd just buy the $8 adapter and be done with it. If my child approached me wanting to make something that doesn't already or affordably exist that is a must have, I'd take the project on if its one that wont cost too much time and money.

Fortunately the only request I have had so far was my 8 yr old daughter wanting her own computer and wanted it to be Hello Kitty theme,... I said thats easy, lets go shopping! So I took a old late 1990's beige steel case computer tower I already had and spray painted it hot pink with all the boards, drives etc removed, and bought her a bunch of Hello Kitty stickers to affix to it after I stuffed an old but still powerful enough Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz motherboard into it with 1GB RAM and a GeForce 6200 8x AGP video card for her gaming (Angry Birds and World of Warcraft Starter Edition FREE) and web surfing ( mainly youtube music videos ) etc. Only problem now is that her friends saw it and they want one just like it... and I cant sell Hello Kitty Computer towers without fear of being sued. So I told the parents that if they want, give me a computer and I will spray paint it hot pink  and they can add their own stickers etc that make it Hello Kitty Theme..LOL  ;D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »
      Doesn't matter what your Dad does or how many spare parts are lying around the radio station...fact is it's a waste of time to do it.

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »

Cool that he is also an ET, but its far cheaper and far less time involved to buy one of these than it is to create your own. Even if you are able to get the parts needed and come in at less than $8 which I estimate that parts alone unless you can buy through a source that gets volume discount will go beyond $8. Plus you will have to hand solder all the many connections and hand soldering surface mount chips takes a lot of skill and precision not to stress the component with the heat running up the components legs and end up with a solder bridge when the flux primes the legs and the molten solder quickly flows and bridges them.. ( BEEN THERE myself and having to solder wick the bridge away without damaging the chip and the PCB ).

After all of this is done. Many hours invested in making this device, you then need it to be supported by the system with a driver. I am not aware of any open source or generic drivers to pair up with USB Analog/Digital Audio communications to make it work for your project.

If my child approached me as an ET, to make this device, I'd just buy the $8 adapter and be done with it. If my child approached me wanting to make something that doesn't already or affordably exist that is a must have, I'd take the project on if its one that wont cost too much time and money.

Fortunately the only request I have had so far was my 8 yr old daughter wanting her own computer and wanted it to be Hello Kitty theme,... I said thats easy, lets go shopping! So I took a old late 1990's beige steel case computer tower I already had and spray painted it hot pink with all the boards, drives etc removed, and bought her a bunch of Hello Kitty stickers to affix to it after I stuffed an old but still powerful enough Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz motherboard into it with 1GB RAM and a GeForce 6200 8x AGP video card for her gaming (Angry Birds and World of Warcraft Starter Edition FREE) and web surfing ( mainly youtube music videos ) etc. Only problem now is that her friends saw it and they want one just like it... and I cant sell Hello Kitty Computer towers without fear of being sued. So I told the parents that if they want, give me a computer and I will spray paint it hot pink  and they can add their own stickers etc that make it Hello Kitty Theme..LOL  ;D

Yeah, He has a degree in it too.  Yeah, to make the converter probably be the longest too do.  Yeah, I dont really have a good iron like I did have right now but,  he has a fine tipped iron that I could use.  You can get adapters for those?

Thats pertty sweet.  You could of done a bit more too it depending on the OS.