Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ntoskrnl.exe is Missing or Corrupt.  (Read 3791 times)

Lee-Enfield

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Ntoskrnl.exe is Missing or Corrupt.
    « on: April 18, 2013, 11:34:24 AM »

Trying to dual boot my laptop, Managed to get it done before except for the product key not working for Windows XP so i purchased a new copy of windows XP and ran the install. It gets as far as the point where it finishes formatting and requests a restart

After i restart i get cannot find windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or corrupt.

Looked around and there are lots of online fixes but none seem to work

I ran chkdsk r\ and it found and fixed a problem, tried install again with full formatting and again same problem. Tried to copy the file from the installation disk and recieved "file could not be copied" error, Try renaming the file ON the computer and then copying but file appears to be completely missing....

I attempted to install Windows XP Pro SP3 onto a partition on my laptop. Install went fine but product key failed to activate. After some wrangling with Microsoft i learned that OEM software couldn't be used if there was a major hardware change ( there had been ) So I purchased a new copy of windows XP pro SP3 from Softwarespeedy.

What I am wondering is can i use the old copy of Windows that installed fine to install up to the point where it finishes formatting and restarts and then finish the install and use the new product key from the new copy of windows i purchased?

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Ntoskrnl.exe is Missing or Corrupt.
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »
    OEM windows install likes to see a hard drive that is clean like a new one..
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

Lee-Enfield

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 05:55:34 AM »
      Before wiping disk I attempted to install with Old OS disk which i knew to work, Ntoskrnl.exe error there too

I have tried wiping the Partition with Active@ Kill disk and re-installed with the New OS disk I have, Received the exact same error.

Attempted to use the expand e:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ d:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

command, It says it susccesfully copies the ntoskrnl.exe file but upon reboot gives me the exact same ntoskrnl.exe error.

I'm wondering if I should have used a different disk wipe program ?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:48:52 AM »
      Where did you buy this XP CD from ? ?
      Did you have any issues with this Optical drive prior to this ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lee-Enfield

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
        never had issues before.

The disk was purchased from SoftwareSpeedy a micrsoft partner among other things and the first disk i purchased from them i checked with microsoft and microsoft agreed it was a valid disk

The 1st OS bought from the installed perfectly fine the first two times i used it ( Second time i realized due to it being OEM i needed to buy a new OS to install )