Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SMART event: Hard Drive might fail  (Read 10495 times)

a_lexsmith

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    SMART event: Hard Drive might fail
    « on: April 20, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
    Hi

Following a SMART event notification: "A hard drive is indicating it might fail", I've run DiskCheckUp which indicates a Reallocated Sector Count Fail, Value 42, Threshold 50, Raw Value 1963.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1525, Windows Vista, Toshiba Hard Drive MK3265GSX.

Should I be backing up somehow and replacing the HDD, or is it reparable?

Many thanks
    Alex

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: SMART event: Hard Drive might fail
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
    Your hard drive has bad sectors and checkdisk remapped the data in those sectors to other areas on the drive, marking the bad sectors as unusable in the future. It's possible your drive will be fine for quite a while, but it is more likely to fail than a drive that has not been identified with bad sectors. To be on the safe side, there's no harm in replacing the drive. If you keep it, just run chkdsk /r on a regular basis. If it reports that it continues to find and repair more bad sectors, then replace the drive immediately.

a_lexsmith

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »
      Many thanks Allan

I ran DiskCheckUp again today and Reallocated Sector Count is down to 13 so I guess that means imminent HDD fail? Would really appreciate any pointers on how to copy everything (BIOS, OS, Office etc) from existing HDD to a new one.

All the best
      Alex

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
      If it is showing that it's still remapping data then yes, you should replace the drive. Easiest way to back up everything is with disc imaging software (which EVERYONE should use on a regular basis) - and by the way - you don't back up the bios - that's not stored on the hard drive. Here is something I put together a while ago to explain everything:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »
      ...I ran DiskCheckUp again today and Reallocated Sector Count is down to 13 so I guess that means imminent HDD fail? Would really appreciate any pointers on how to copy everything (BIOS, OS, Office etc) from existing HDD to a new one...
      I work on my neighbor's 1525 from time to time.  I have been unable to create a Macrium image probably due to similar hard drive corruption.  I know it's a Toshiba 160GB, SATA.  You really want to image the entire drive, so you don't loose the hidden Dell partiions which contain Tools & Disk Restore.

BIOS is not contained on the HD, but the tools to access it are on one of the hidden partitions.  The Disk Restore partition is only needed to return the computer to the "as shipped" condition.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »
      If Macrium is still giving you issues...i think this isn't the 1st time...shoot me a PM as i use it as my primary backup now...
      Acronis wanted me to re-up...and i was kinda put off by that since i've been usin it for over 10 years and recommending it here regularly...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
      I use Macrium on my own computers.  Only had problems with USB3.0 HD not being recognized in Linux distro and WinPE restore discs and bootable flash.  Latest version fixed Linux, but had to manually copy Windows 3.0 drivers into proper folder for WinPE.

It took Macrium a long time to update the Linux distro for USB3.0 support.

I had no issues with my backup USB2.0 HD.

a_lexsmith

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
        Thanks for all the advice  :) - took me while to figure everything out but managed to mirror to an external drive using Macrium, install a new (larger) HDD and all's working great. The old HDD was seconds away from giving up the ghost so just in time...

Take care all.
        A

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
        Good News indeed...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "