Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hello, I am new here and I have a question about Google Chrome  (Read 5445 times)

BraiNfreeZe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Beginner
    Hello, I am new here and not very computer literate. Here is my question. I have the most recent version of google chrome installed on my PC (Windows XP Pro). My question is can I install an older version of chrome on this same PC? I can get older versions from OldApps.com. Must I uninstall the current version I have now before the older version installation? I plan on using my firewall to stop the older version from updating. Please explain in simple, easy to understand language. The computer jargon and all the technical lingo confuses me sometimes. Thanks!  :)

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hello, I am new here and I have a question about Google Chrome
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »
    Hey, Welcome to Computer Hope!

You won't be able to "install" an older version but you can use a "portable" version which doesn't need to be installed.  Before opening them, disconnect your internet connection and then disable updates (probably easier than your firewall).  You can then reconnect to the internet and use the older versions.

I do this myself at work so I can test stuff in older browsers.

Check these out here:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/crportable/files/

BraiNfreeZe

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
      Thanks camerongray. Much appreciated! Hey, one more question. After I download the portable version I want, can I add on extensions and apps from the chrome store?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
      Thanks camerongray. Much appreciated! Hey, one more question. After I download the portable version I want, can I add on extensions and apps from the chrome store?

You should be able to yeah.

BraiNfreeZe

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
        Thanks again camerongray. I found the version I like and it works great. 

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
        Check these out here:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/crportable/files/
        Your link goes to Chromium, not Chrome.  I know they are similar but there are differences.  Just thought that should be mentioned.

BraiNfreeZe

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »
          @ camerongray, thanks again.

@ soybean, thanks for your reply. What are the main differences? Is chromium called this because it is the portable version of the Google Chrome web browser? I have noticed some subtle differences, but the two are very similar.

I have another question for both of you. Why do you have to get these portable versions from Sourceforge? Why can't you get them from Google? Does Google actually create these portable versions or are these created by some third party?

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
          @ soybean, thanks for your reply. What are the main differences? Is chromium called this because it is the portable version of the Google Chrome web browser? I have noticed some subtle differences, but the two are very similar.
          A reference: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

I have another question for both of you. Why do you have to get these portable versions from Sourceforge? Why can't you get them from Google? Does Google actually create these portable versions or are these created by some third party?
          I believe the portable versions of various software/apps are developed by third party developers.  PortableApps.com is a popular source of portable apps.   They provide some assistance to developers; see http://portableapps.com/development