Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VGA splitter, HDMI converter advice....  (Read 3622 times)

siratfus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    VGA splitter, HDMI converter advice....
    « on: April 26, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
    Guys, I have a monitor that only has 1 VGA input. It is already attached to a PC. I have a macbook with it's own docking station that I would like to share this monitor with. The docking station has a mini display port for HDMI out.

First, I thought of getting a converter. To convert the VGA to a female HDMI, so it can accept the hdmi connection coming from the macbook. But then I realize I don't want to always be unplugging and replugging whenever I want to use VGA with the pc or hdimi with the macbook.

So my plan is to split the VGA with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Monitor-Splitter-Supporting/dp/B005H3I38G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367023732&sr=1-1&keywords=vga+splitter

So one can be connected to the PC at all times, and the other can then use a VGA to hdmi converter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Hammerhead-HDMI-Converter-1080p/dp/B006LP0FXA/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367023981&sr=1-6&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+converter. That one can then connect to my macbook when I need to.

Anything wrong with what I'm trying? Does anyone know of a better cleaner method? Some sort of all inclusive switch box or something?

Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: VGA splitter, HDMI converter advice....
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
    Won't work. You have to have a mechanical, physical way to change the connection path. I used to do this with a switch made for that purpose.

The older ones, used but working go for under $20.
    The new ones cost more that getting non old monitor from a local thrift store.

EDIT: Yeah, there is another way,n but I sensed that you were cost restrained. Commercial and industrial users have a special method with auto-switching devices.  If you shave to ask what it cost, you can't afford it.
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:56:46 PM by Geek-9pm »

siratfus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:04:15 PM »

siratfus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
        The only negative is the lost of picture quality. But today I learned something about VGA distribution amplifiers. I think I'll try one of these next to see if picture quality is retained. I think I would need something like this. It has two inputs, so one can be for the Macbook and one for the PC: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ST122VGAU-2-Port-Auto-Switch/dp/B0037FSWGY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1367283171&sr=8-7&keywords=vga+video+switch
        « Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:22:40 PM by siratfus »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »
        Thinks for the feedback. I was sure it would newer work.  :-[